Alienware M18X R2 mSATA

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by NikoDG, Nov 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dandan112988

dandan112988 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Looking forward to hearing about it. What are you plugging in there

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I plan to place a small 32GB USB memory stick in there permanently and use it as an onboard DOS bootable BIOS/vBIOS flash utility and driver storage drive. I could even create a batch file to select a variety of boot options and have either a Respawn image or Windows 7/8 USB installer onboard.

3. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Populating the WIHD slot with anything other than a supported WIHD card may cause stability issues. I have tried landing a few different cards in there and every time the WIFI slot would stop functioning until the card was removed. I hope you have more luck, Brother Fox.

4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I hope it works. I guess we will know by next weekend. The device was very inexpensive. At least one Alienware owner in our Community has one installed in his laptop, but his is not an M18x. If it does not work, maybe it will be compatible with the spare slot in my Mini 9. It could use more storage anyway, since it has only a 64GB mPATA SSD.

Funny you should mention that. My Ultimate-N 6300 will not work when installed in the WIHD slot. Everything seems to be fine except it finds no wireless networks. I cannot figure that one out, since it is detected correctly and drivers automatically install when it is moved to that slot. It has no visible problem, just cannot find any wireless networks until I put it back in the slot for WIFI.

5. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Yeah, but if you had another WIFI card in the Wifi slot, it wouldn't get recognized.

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I think the card manufacturers have missed a trick not pushing for more of these slots and producing a variety of options. Same goes for ITX desktop motherboards where you can get 3 of these slots in the space of one full size desktop one and not have to worry about mounting.

7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I agree, Meaker. Having a few extra mini-PCIe slots would be an awesome option.

8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    On desktop boards like I said, a recent board had an msata on the back, itx with a nice graphics card, sound card and ssd raid array all with only power cables.

9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    It worked... now to decide how I can best use it. The 4GB USB stick in there now is not bootable. So, my original plans (noted above) or a wireless mouse/keyboard micro-dongle would be a great choice for permanent internal installation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's pretty nifty work there, bud - very nice idea indeed! - now if you could get or make the flash drive bootable, that would be quite cool!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.