Alienware M18X R2 mSATA

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by NikoDG, Nov 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ramonjsantiago

ramonjsantiago Newbie

Reputations:
    How did you guys get the mSATA drive to be recognized?

I have it showing up in Device Manager->Other Devices->MKNSSDAT240GB

I'm on Windows 8 x64. It doesn't look to me like there is a driver for this.

Any help?

thanks

2. juliant

juliant Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Driver for what? You have already installed the drivers previously for the SSD's / HDD's or it came already installed with the system. All you have to do is to add a drive letter and paths from computer management and have is formatted for your desire needs. For all I can see you have a mushkin msata drive as mine MKNSSDAT240GB-DX - Mushkin Enhanced ...

3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Here are a couple of better photos. I think it would be possible to have the mSATA drive above the RAM modules, between the bottom cover and the memory. The cable is long enough that something could be easily fabricated to attach the mSATA to the lower cover, and simply unplug it when removing the bottom cover. Or, fastened to the lower cover with something very simple like a velcro strip.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
  4. BrickTop

BrickTop Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It'd fit nicely in the mini pcie bay with some Velcro as you suggest if you can route the cable through past that plastic frame.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I may look into that in the near future, BrickTop. It would be nice to have mSATA for booting Windows 8 (my secondary OS) so I can use my entire 480GB SSD RAID0 for Windows 7 (my primary OS). Windows 8 is sluggish enough that running it on SATA2 3GB/s probably will not "feel" any different.

I currently have my Steam games installation folder on the 1TB RAID0 HDD and that Steam folder alone is 476GB. I also have My Docs, My Pics, My Vids, etc in folders shared by Win7/8 on the same drive. If I do that, I can go back to my single 750GB Seagate for Data in the same HDD caddy as the SSD and maybe put my BluRay burner back into the chassis instead of using it as an external eSATA. That, or I could forget doing it, leave the 1TB HDD RAID0, put Windows 8 on a small partition and us the mSATA for caching. Not sure yet what approach to take

I just ordered one of these to go into the empty mini-PCIe slot. I plan to place a small 32GB USB memory stick in there permanently and use it as an onboard DOS bootable BIOS/vBIOS flash utility and driver storage drive. I could even create a batch file to select a variety of boot options and have either a Respawn image or Windows 7/8 USB installer onboard.

[​IMG]

6. dandan112988

dandan112988 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Which pcie slot do you mean, the one the msata does into or the one the wihd is supposed to go into

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    the empty slot where a wihd card would normally be installed

I don't have any mSATA option at this point... haven't purchased the cable/socket.

8. yohojones

yohojones Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    My 2c...
    Even sata II is great for the os. The seek time on sata II and III are the same. The extra speed from sata III will be handy if you're transferring HUGE files but even with games 200+ MB/s is plenty fast. If you're using your m18x for video editing or photoshop I'd throw a drive on the sata III port... but for everyone but the most extreme user a sata II msata drive will not be noticeably different from a sata III ssd.

Seek time is more important for your os than transfer speed.

9. dandan112988

dandan112988 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did you get this working fox? I'm interested. As far as I understand the widhd card is useless because we can't get it to work on the r2s or something like that

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    It has not arrived yet. Should get that critter sometime this week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.