Alienware M18x R2 broken HDD connector replacement part

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by KNG SNKE, Jun 27, 2016.

1. KNG SNKE

KNG SNKE Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ok I've been making sure this is a good connector and it is. The good, if your connector has a broken retainer ( broken plastic piece), this is a replacement connector for you. It does require that you remove the motherboard to install it and I recommend professional installation.

One thing to note, the retaining clip on this connector DOES NOT fit the oem connector. I tried to modify them, 20 times actually, and failed. It is just too flimsy. Now the retaining clip on this one is cheap also so buy a couple. Pictures to follow.

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?keywords=609-1213-1-nd

maojens, quochung1989 and Mr. Fox like this.
  2. KNG SNKE

KNG SNKE Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The photo of the new connector installed.

Attached Files:

Mr. Fox likes this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Awesome. Should be fairly easy to solder on, too. I've done smaller things. Thanks for sharing the link.

maojens likes this.
  4. KNG SNKE

KNG SNKE Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm a prior 2m tech and I had issues removing the connector. Ended up having to get a new mobo because I jacked the removal up so bad. I recommend you use solder melt to remove the connector. The pads lift easy. If I was in practice yes it's an easy removal.

maojens likes this.
  5. KNG SNKE

KNG SNKE Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    One other thing I should mention, this connector holds the cable VERY TIGHT. So tight that if you accidentally pull your cable while its clamped down you will absolutely damage the cable. So lock your cable in and leave it once you install the connector. Its still working great on my system with no hiccups. I wish I could of created a new latch for the OEM one but it just wasn't happening. Either way if someone wanted to search the other major sites you have all the information you need to try out their connectors. Mouser is another site that sells connectors like this.

maojens likes this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Better yet, leave the two screws out under the HDD caddy. They are totally unnecessary. That way you can take off the palm rest and do almost anything you need to do and never need to disturb the HDD caddy again. You would only need to remove the SATA cable from the socket to replace the mobo or lower chassis.

maojens likes this.
  7. KNG SNKE

KNG SNKE Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Solid advice Mr. Fox. The new connector is a beast, that is the only way to describe it. The plastic clip is still cheap but you have a limitless supply of replacements. I think digikey has like 49k in stock and they are stupid cheap.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  8. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just came across this thread, thank you but I think removing the mobo and soldering on this replacement piece is beyond my purview. I wish dell simply provided the replacement latch as that's all that I need. Apparently this is a widespread issue with the M18x R2.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. jerryzago

jerryzago Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Homer S, maxslo and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. KNG SNKE

KNG SNKE Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Awesome find