Alienware M18x R2 7970 CF, best GPU upgrade option?

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by supervendor, Aug 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaeron

Vaeron Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Other than taking out the black tape. Right?

2. supervendor

supervendor Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    thanks for the reply! do you have any template, or advise about what thermal pad I need to buy? mm? brand? soft or hard? I want be sure to have the lower temperature.
    Also, where i can find the black plastic tape for the 980? or i can use other solution, lice use adesive work electrical tape, or something like this?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  3. supervendor

Reputations:
    thanks for the reply! do you have any template, or advise about what thermal pad I need to buy? mm? brand? soft or hard? I want be sure to have the lower temperature.
    Also, where i can find the black plastic tape for the 980? or i can use other solution, lice use adesive work electrical tape, or something like this?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  4. kenny27

kenny27 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You mean the tape on the copper that touches the GPU die?... the 980m die is larger the the 7970m and will touch this tape if you don't take it off. Thanks for picking up on that, its not a mod really but does need to be done!

You will need to do a few trial assemblies to make sure you are getting good contact on the gpu die and that the thermal pads are not to thick or thin on the rest of the components that need cooling.

In general the the high capacity pads (11-12w/mk) are hard and wont squish down much, which mean you need to get the thickness right or you will bend your graphics card/reduce cooling on the gpu die.

You should from memory be able to use 1mm hard or soft thermal pads on the 8 vram chips and mix and match soft 1 and 2mm thermal pads for the rest of the components.

Sorry I can't be more specific, it was over 2 years ago that I did the thermal pads on my 980m's.

I personally would not bother with putting black tape back on the heatsink. It will work just fine without.

Vaeron likes this.
  5. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Just for future notice, AMD and Nvidia 100W heatsink are the same, only difference is the black tape.

Remove the black tape and you should be fine installing any compatible GPU.

Vaeron likes this.
  6. supervendor

Reputations:
    if i remove completely the black plastic on the heatsink gpu die, and put nothing, and leave the heatsink without put nothing instead, I dont risk to have some contact, short circuit or something like this?

also. it is possible to use the 980m without unlock the bios?
    And also, every new driver, i need to mod the drivers, or just the first time and after the nex driver update go installed automatic without do nothing?

7. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    You should be fine completely removing it for a 980m.

You need unlocked BIOS A11 for 980m

Every new driver, you will need to modify the drivers

8. supervendor

Reputations:
    thanks for the info man!
    So, if is confirmed that the upgrade 1080 GTX is not possible, I now go for a SLI 980m.
    I just hope the SLI have a better support than the crossfire..
    Also, finally I want upgrade my crossfire 7970, just because I am not able anymore to install the new ATI drivers without issue, I hope that not happen to with nVidia.

9. mossesmos

mossesmos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ^ Sli support is diminishing as we speak.. and not far is the day when nvidia completely desert it.

10. supervendor

Reputations:
    I just reading in internet, now the latest nVidia driver support 980m for m18x r2, so dont need anymore to mod driver. Is this real?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.