Alienware M18x R2 7970 CF, best GPU upgrade option?

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by supervendor, Aug 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supervendor

supervendor Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    thankyou for the info.
    And what about the thermal pads? are good and expensive thermal pads like fujipoly 17w worth it? or I can just go for cheap one (6w)??

2. TheDantee

TheDantee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Have the Stock ones on so I can't comment on that... If you have the money get the fujipoly ones

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

3. supervendor

Reputations:
    I dont have the money, but if a good thermal pads help to decrease temperature then I try to buy it. But online someone say they are worth it, and someone say dont need to spend money on this because at best just a couple of degrees change.
    So actually I need to decide from this:

fujipoly 1mm 17w: Best, but veeeery expensive

Alphacool 1mm 11w: more cheap than fujipoly, no idea about the diffrenece on perfomrance

Arctic cooling 1mm 6w: cheap, no idea if the performance is enoug for the 980m.

as you say, if the down xbracket cover just offer 1 o 2 diffrence of degree, then the some we can say for the up side??

4. supervendor

Reputations:
    please guys this is important! I dont want high temp but I dont want waste money!

5. Vaeron

Vaeron Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I went through this when I was trying to figure out the core temp differential on my old AW 15 R3. I think the gist is, if you know your way very well, use the Fujipoly thermal pads as it has the best results with the caveat that it's probably going to be replaced as soon as you do some repasting. It's not malleable enough to be reused.

The alternative is, buy the Arctic thermal pads as they are very user-friendly, and they can be reused again. It's easy to do minor adjustments to the pads that way, and you don't regret spending too much on it.

I haven't used Alphacool, so I don't know how it is.

One more thing, if you are to manually figure the thermal pad thickness on your own, then I suggest you buy the 0.5mm thickness as it gives you a lot of room for error. You can stack them up to get to the 1mm level (or to any level that you may want).

6. supervendor

Reputations:
    thanks for the advise.

finally I buy the alphacool wwith a clevo downside plate with x bracket. and thermal grizzlies for the core.
    I think to receve everything in a couple of weeks, and I let you know how is goes.

Another little question, I read on internet, if now the the nvidia drivers support the 980m inside the m18x r2, then dont need anymore to unlock the bios before install it... but this look strange to me... what do you think? the m18x r2 can recognize the cards without unlock the bios too? Im actually with the last stock bios.

7. TheDantee

TheDantee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I would use the unlocked bios personally for any laptop gpu upgrade...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

8. Vaeron

Vaeron Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't have an R2, but my R1 had stock BIOS when I upgraded to a 780M SLI setup. I just had to edit some files in the installer for it to recognize the GPUs. After that, I got my unlocked BIOS.

9. kenny27

kenny27 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Use the latest unlocked bios it will save you a lot of headaches and tearing the machine down in the furture.

The unlocked bios lets you run the 980m with uefi and legacy and therefore windows 7. If at any point you try to boot with legacy (like after removing the cmos battery) on the stock bios with 980m's you'll have to remove the 980m's to get it to boot again and change it back to uefi.

10. supervendor

Reputations:
    Thanks kenny, but can i ask something?
    I have windows 10, and I dont have reason to use wndows 7 or 8, or Linux, so thats mean I dont have reason to use uefi adn legacy.
    So in this case I have no reason to install the unlock bios, and i can stay with the stock one, right? The cards are recognize without the unlock bios anyway then, right?
    If I dont use windows 7, then what is the pro to have the unlocked bios?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.