Alienware M18X order advice

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Speedy Gonzalez, Apr 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    LOL, Conan the Barbarian ftw.....

2. MaynardLD50

MaynardLD50 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm driving myself insane. I'm getting a sizable discount on my system that I order and I can't decide if I should order a M17x R3 and save the money or spend the extra $600 on the M18x and grab that since I have the discount. My common sense is telling me that with the discount it is worth it to get the M18x, but my frugalness is telling me "You're fine with your desktop for crazy gaming, and stick to the R3 for the games you play". Stupid "I want the best mentality" OCD.

3. NYC Drifter

NYC Drifter Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm going through the same conniptions:confused: I don't think that I would be able to get 30% off an M18x for several months though.

4. joecait

joecait Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think with a decent discount, it's a no brainer if you DON'T CARE that it's near 12 lbs and a tad less portable than the M17x R3 to go with the M18x.

Both would be pretty tiring to lug everywhere daily. As mentioned in a previous post, assuming you get the upgraded screen and upgrade your gfx, the M18x is about $250-$275 more assuming it starts at 1999. Tack on an awesome discount and that becomes $175-200 more for a machine which has more "stuff".

If the M17x R3 had a better screen, it'd be a much harder comparison (since Dell has nicer 17" screens)...

That's MY thinking at least. :) Went through the same thought process starting with the Sager 8150, then 8170, then M17x R3 and now M18x.

If they made a M21x, maybe I'd wait for that instead...lol.

5. 3demons

3demons Battlefield 3 Ace

Reputations:
    wow, only 12 pounds? thats good news to me. hah, but then again, i dont care about weight after having to lug around a 70 lb ruck sack.

for me the 2720, and xfire 6970, + (if they have option for RGB LED then that too) and bluray. everything else i could care less since i can do it myself.

6. KillerBunny

KillerBunny Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Your desktop will beat an m18x. If you upgrade your motherboard to a sb compatible one, and an i7-2600k, you would own it with ease. I would either go full DTR with an m18x only, or go portable + desktop (m14x/m17x w/desktop)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.