Alienware M18X - Guessing the Launch Date

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by RRei, Apr 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EvolutionTheory

EvolutionTheory Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The Alienwares sure do have the most unique/debatably-best styling on their laptops out of everyone, I'll give them that. They also have the best or widest known public image in the gaming-notebook industry I think.

2. joecait

joecait Notebook Deity

Reputations:

The simple answer at this point is NO.

You really need to look at a lot of the old posts on the Sager forums, some of the What laptop I should buy forums and these forums to get your answer. Using information from 5 years ago is not accurate today.

There are a ton of people who have moved from going with Sager to Alienware, me included. You can look up some of my old posts as well as some I've seen from others here and even on the SAger forums

I have yet to find anyone selling their Alienware M17x R3 for a Sager 8170.
    Zippo, nil, nothing...

In terms of price, the Alienware at times is CHEAPER than the Sager for a ton of reasons posted many times over.

Please read or search before posting old blanket ignorant information from 5 years ago.

Oh yeah, Sager is still waiting for their 6970 I believe...and are dealing with their computer freeze issues.

Also, you can easily haggle with Dell and get from 10-30% off. Some people here bought the M17x R3 for 30% off list. Not to mention easy to find coupons...better support, etc...Just do a quick search or look at some of my old posts. Been through this before and so has a ton of other people here and in the Sager forums.

3. RRei

RRei Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This thread is getting a bit off topic, this thread is for the release date of the M18X, with rumors, guesses, etc.

4. EvolutionTheory

Reputations:
    I did quite a bit of research and my information, especially what I just posted, is current.

Telling me to go read through all your posting history and do searches for complaints on Alienware and Clevo/Sager, which coincidentally I've already done, is a cop out.

You're saying my information is ignorant yet you post nothing to actually support your claims.

The Clevo's are higher end computers made by a consistently better reviewed company. I've not only owned several top-of-the-line XPS's, but also managed networks with over 1200 Dells. You can't win an argument by mentioning a "Freezing" issue on a Clevo model as evidence their quality is worse than Alienware or Dell.

Also, why do I need to look at older Sager forum posts and not current posts? You tell me not to use outdated information and then point me towards outdated information.

I would suggest you haven't found anyone selling their Alienware's for Clevos because most people buying Alienwares aren't aware of Clevos, or they did the research and purchased the 8170 first, but that is just a guess based on things like.. it being a higher performing and better built machine (based on user feedback), and less expensive.

I came into this thread to discuss the differences and genuinely figure out why people are preferring Alienware, which so far I've gathered is because they didn't know about Clevo, they trust the Alienware brand/image more since it's larger and better known, Alienware is aesthetically more appealing to specific people, or for your reasons.. because a few years ago there were apparently poor reviews for Sagers.

Clevo resellers will also give discounts over the phone for various reasons by the way. So far I don't see an actual technical reason to get an Alienware over a similar Clevo.

Since I don't want to turn this into a huge flame war I'll go ahead and stop posting more in this thread except to reply answering questions someone may ask.

5. EvolutionTheory

Reputations:
    Yeah, my bad. I doubt the moderators would encourage a debate over this anyway. I was just curious as to why someone would choose the Alienware.

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Glad you like the dog! :p I thought it was pretty cool.

I would not say you're "wrong choosing the clevo" and I did not take your invitation to be proven wrong as sarcasm. I would consider that your personal preference and I respect that. However, I will not be burning any calories on your invitation simply because I'm not interested in attempting to persuade you to think differently than what you do. It's OK to be a Clevo fan-boy, and I'll be the first to admit that I'm an Alienware fan-boy. :) When all the dust settles, opposing opinions are pretty much irrelevant and all that really matters is that you're satisfied with what you've got. So, with that understanding I will simply respond by saying thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

I have heard there are a number of technical problems with the Clevo and Asus gaming laptops. I started out with an XPS M1730 and that thing was a POS. It had a solid chassis build quality, but it was very unreliable and I am not interested in going down that road again. I received the R2 as a replacement for the M1730. I've never been more pleased with a computer than I am with my R2.

I have no incentive whatsoever to move away from Alienware, as I am very happy with the product and service. I opted for the upgraded 4-year Complete Care next-day on-site warranty, and the value I received for that extra money was pretty great. I find it hard to believe that Clevo would be able to improve upon the service Dell has provided to me, but I would not go as far as saying that it's impossible.

All things being relatively equal on the performance front, I would still choose an R2 or M18x over a competing brand for the Alienware design, and gladly pay a few bucks more for the unmatched good looks and brand name.

As I mentioned before, I'm pretty stoked about the M18x. I'm looking forward to seeing what the early adopters have to share with us. Hopefully, there will not be any big customer let-downs like there was with crummy build quality of the R3. I'm an early enthusiast, but not an early adopter. I never been one to be overly-eager to spend a lot of my hard earned money on something before the version 1.0 bugs are worked out.

7. chewietobbacca

chewietobbacca Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Every company's got its issues.... my Alienware M11xR1 has pretty much fallen apart (and overheats), to make no mention of the hinge issue but it was a well built machine

It comes down to what hardware you want.. a 6970M + 2nd gen Core i7 in a 15.6" form factor makes the NP8150 very attractive to me, but if you are willing to go up to the 17"/18" form factors, the M17xR3 and M18x are incredible for their price

8. joecait

joecait Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Last post by me on this here since this is off topic, you can read "1" of my messages here since search is actually hard to use on these forums:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/wha...0856-alienware-m17x-r3-vs-sager-np8170-7.html

There are various reasons, both technical and not technical. When I said older, I mean older within the last 2 months tops! The few year ago comment was about Alienware being a LOT more expensive a few years back compared to now...

9. nobodyshero

nobodyshero Notebook Speculator

Reputations:
    No, you actually did. This topic is about the M18x launch date and not about Clevo vs Alienware which you can address in the "Which notebook should I buy section" where all empirical evidence of problematic lines of laptops can be shown there.

I hope the mod comes through and comes and clean this up after seeing two abysmal arguments that;

1) XPS line = AW
    2) Clevo is an inherently less problematic laptop company

10. Cerberus

Cerberus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Okay let me make this very brief so we can go back to our thread's topic.
    First, price wise Clevo/Sager is by no means cheaper, yes when configuring online it's a bit cheaper, but call Dell and haggle a bit and see how much cheaper the Alienware becomes.
    Second, you asked for reasons to buy an Alienware over a clevo? Here you go: MUCH better screen (and that's not including the R2's RGB led screen which is in another league), better speakers, better keyboard, better looks, better support, more ports (HDMI in/out for instance), etc.
    The screen, keyboard and speakers alone are enough to seal the deal for me, these are the things you use the most in a laptop, and in the Alienware laptop they are top notch.
    And finally as far as performance goes, they are so similar that it's irrelevant to buy one over the other for its better performance, because both are great performing machines, so what it's gonna come down to are the things you notice in every day use, which I mentioned before.
    I hope the idea is very clear now so that we can close this discussion and get back on topic, or we can discuss this elsewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.