Alienware m17x wake on usb and or wan/lan questions.

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Imonk86, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Imonk86

Imonk86 Newbie

Reputations:
    I finally managed to get my rig to where I like it, the only problem is I would like to remotly wake it by any means possible. I'm having difficulty finding a tried and true way with any instructions.

I am aware that based on any wake on lan searches for this model all info would point to wake on usb. My question is does it actually work, what is required to make it work, outside of bios settings are there any other settings I need to play with. Am i stuck with only being able to wake it from a mouse at home or are there usb devices that handle more complicated functions.

I thought maybe i could use a male to male usb wire and plug the other end into a wifi controlled power strip. The one I have can be managed outside of my network from my phone and I can turn on and off each individual outlet and port.

I also though maybe there may exist a wifi usb adapter for this spacific purpose, but cant seem to find any info confirming this.

I am aware of programs on windows like splashtop and multiplicity that have the ability to stream desktops and utilize the wake on lan funtionality of a desktop, but because this model aparently doesnt suport that function I havent been able to get it to work.

I have at times left my laptop on and tested the two above mentioned programs after a few upgrades and it functions as I need it to with very little lag. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!