Alienware M17x R5 8 Beeps

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Bartlett, May 31, 2018.

1. Bartlett

Bartlett The Prophet

Reputations:
    So, as I suspected, my indicator lights were acting up due to hardware issues.

And I solved my keyboard issue....

Originally, I bought a new keyboard and palmrest assembly so I could basically "restore" my laptop to like-new cosmetic conditions. After I installed the new keyboard, the shift keys gave me issues. So, to ensure it was the keyboard and not the laptop, I installed and tested the old keyword. Everything worked. So, I asked for another new keyboard. Yet, that one had the same shift-key issue as the first one. So, I installed the old keyboard again. This time, it actually had the same problem as the other 2 new keyboards. So, when the old keyboard worked after I had deemed the new keyboard faulty, it was simply a matter of luck with one of those dang FRCs.

So, I decided to replace both of the FRC cables on right-side of the motherboard. After finally procuring a set of these cables, I installed them and everything has been working well! I ran Dell Diagnostics in thorough mode and everything passed.

However, I have a new AUO display, and it's kinda bad: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/new-auo-display-not-so-good.820988/

What's the best display one can get on the R1?

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    120hz panel is pretty nice but its glossy, to which I am not a fan of. Im actually about to sell it on ebay without the eDP cable.

There is also the N173HHE-G32 8-bit/120hz/matte panel that is in my opinion the best option but will require a little bit of modding to be fitted properly.

As for the LVDS panels I am not too experienced with them besides the one I have currently installed. Seems ok but not worth writing home about.

Capture.PNG

3. Bartlett

Bartlett The Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah, I'd want a 120hz panel, preferably matte. But, I'm not willing to do any modifications to get it :p

The LVDS panel you mentioned is what I installed. Perhaps mine is defective, but it's certainly worse than the LP173WF1-TLB3. I am going to return that AUO and stick with the LG.