Alienware M17x R5 8 Beeps

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Bartlett, May 31, 2018.

1. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    No, it's in the alienware 17 sub forum, your looking at the alienware 13 sub forum. I'd pull the link but I'm on my phone.

Our laptop can use the msi or Zbox 1070 but for ease of use or if you need a little more kick but waiting for the next Gen stuff then 980m would be plug and play. I think they go for around 350 these days.

The other issue with laptops today is if the mobo goes then so does the cpu / gpu and in some case the ram too. 200 for our mobo is much better than the 900 some people have been quoted recently.

2. Bartlett

Bartlett The Prophet

Reputations:
    I see. I'll probably stick with the 780 tbh. Unless, the 980 is fairly affordable. But, I believe I'd need an upgraded power brick? I think mine is rated for 240W.

Blind flashing didn't work. I installed the LCD though, and prior to full re-assembly, everything worked! However, after a partial re-assembly, the screen was displaying some serious artifacts. I did a bit more tinkering, sighed deeply, then realized that maybe it was my LCD, but for sure it was my cable.

I have the AUO panel. Since that's better than the LG one, I'll probably keep it. But, I need to order an LCD cable now...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  3. Bartlett

Bartlett The Prophet

Reputations:
    Okay, so it was actually the LCD cable. I think I'll keep the screen though because it's a better panel apparently (AUO).

However, I also got a new keyboard directly from Dell. Unfortunately, the right shift key enters the number 5 each time, when num lock is on. The left shift key meanwhile enters a period each time, regardless of num lock or caps lock. Despite this, the shift function works with both keys...the other keys of the keyboard all seem to work as well.

I tried my old keyboard, and no issues. So, it looks like they sent me a defective keyboard or somehow the keyboard cables of the new unit got tweaked during re-assembly.

@TheReciever I also was curious...can you please let me know what your rightmost status lights look like, when booted into Windows and with AlienFX on, during the following situations:

1) only caps lock on
    2) only num lock on
    3) both caps lock and num lock on
    4) both caps lock and num lock off

I feel like mine are not lighting up properly. If I am recalling correctly:

1) two rightmost lights are white; the first light is my AlienFX color
    2) the two leftmost lights are my AlienFX color; the third light is off
    3) same as #1
    4) same as #2

4. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Im not what you mean by right most status lights?

5. Bartlett

Bartlett The Prophet

Reputations:
    The 3 lights at the top right of the touchpad/keyboard assembly, near the screen bezel.

6. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Thats HDD/ WLAN/ and caps lock

for me they are blue as I guess thats the default option with AlienFX, I dont use AlienFX beyond the stock styles.

7. Bartlett

Bartlett The Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes, those :D

Ah, so having caps lock or num lock on doesn’t adjust the lighting? I’d imagine only the caps lock color might change. Yet for me, both WLAN and caps lock change.

8. TheReciever

Reputations:
    No that shouldn't have anything to do with adjustment of lighting.

9. Bartlett

Bartlett The Prophet

Reputations:
    Sorry if I wasn't clear by "adjusting the lighting", but it only adjusts those status lights...not the lights anywhere else on the laptop. I was trying to see if my status lights were properly illuminating upon the activation of caps lock and/or num lock. Because, based on what I've been seeing, I feel like it's not doing what it should be doing. I don't see why WLAN and caps lock should be illuminated white when I press caps lock. And when I press num lock, nothing happens.

10. TheReciever

Reputations:
    There is no numlock light that I am aware of, just the 3 mentioned before.

Sounds like you need to change your AlienFX profile or reinstall the driver. WLAN is always on if your using WiFi so there could be a profile to change the colors to white when caps lock is on.