Alienware M17X R4 water cooling system

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by jackgarcia7, Nov 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jackgarcia7

jackgarcia7 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am starting a water cooling system for my R4. Before you ask why I am doing this I will give you the answer.

1. Better cooling system for the laptop (not a gamer so gpu is always idle)
    2. Because someone told me it couldn't be done.

I am runnning my benchmarks right now. If you want me to do a benchmark for you with my specs let me know but so far this is what I am testing.

1. CPU stress test temperatures (100% at 3.8Ghz)
    2. GPU stress test temperatures (100% at 1350Mhz)
    3. Memory stress test temperatures (100% at 1600Mhz)
    4. Idle temperatures (Idles around 1.2Ghz)

The cooling system will consist of a built-in water pump power at start up. I will also have a reservoir and about 2 feet of 1/4'' copper piping. The piping will not be the same size everywhere but overall it will be 1/4''.

Know for my questions

1. Will the water changes create condensation on the copper piping?
    2. If yes, should the piping be coated in some material?
    3. Is there a location on the motherboard where the pipes cannot cross over?
    4. Is there a place where the motherboard shouldn't heat up.

Last but not least throw me some suggestions. After my testing is complete I will post my schematics. Wish me luck :) .

2. kakaroth1977

kakaroth1977 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Good Luck , have you seen the m18x liquid cooling?

3. ejohnson

ejohnson Is that lemon zest?

Reputations:
    If you are looking for a micro water pump, do a search on radio controlled car water cooling. There are lots of very small pumps for those systems.

4. jackgarcia7

Reputations:
    Yes I have, but that system doesn't circulate the water into a reservoir.

Wow I hadn't seen those yet. The only problem is that I have 5V limitation because I don't want to make this complicated since I would want everyone here to build one without much experience. The pump I have gotten for this project works on 5V.

5. CptXabaras

CptXabaras Overclocked, Overvolted, Liquid Cooled

Reputations:
    This is enaugh of a reason for me to rep you ;)

post some picture as soon as you can

6. jackgarcia7

Reputations:
    Here all are all my pre water cooling scores and temperatures. All these test were done at around 22-23Celcius room temp.
    XTU Stress Test
    CPU
    CPU: 93 (Max)
    86.5 (Average)

Intel Burn Test
    CPU: 92 (Max)
    87.5 (Average)

3DMark06
    Score: 17980 3DMarks
    SM2.0 Score: 6848
    HDR/Sm3.0 Score: 7524
    CPU Score: 7228
    CPU Temp: 58.2 (Average)
    GPU Temp: 70.9 (Average)

3DMark Vantage
    Score: 12146 3DMarks
    Graphics Score: 10379
    CPU Score: 24819
    CPU Temp: 57.4 (Average)
    GPU Temp: 65.3 (Average)

3DMark 11
    Score: P2676 3DMarks
    Graphics Score: 2422
    Physics Score: 8494
    Combined Score: 2158
    CPU Temp: 58.3 (Average)
    GPU Temp: 59.4 (Average)

7. jackgarcia7

Reputations:
    Well here is my schematic finally finished up. The first picture is only the tear down. After that you will see picture 2 and 3. When I receive the pump I purchased I will see what fitting is more appropriate. So far I am pushing for the one with the submersible pump. If it won't fit I will settle for the one I ordered, which is not submersible. Side note pump will be powered by CD drive. Both 2 and 3 show the layout for the copper piping on the front of the motherboard. Picture 4 shows the layout on the back of the motherboard. The layout is a little unique so I will explain it as good as I can. I will solder a 1/2 inch pipe to the 1/4 inch copper pipe which is what will be used overall. If you see the picture you will notice that all the piping will be layered over with extra flat piping. As for the CPU heat sink, I will take it to a machine shop to cut a score instead of slant that it currently has. That way I can move over the current heat sink and add the water copper next to them. Then I will do the same procedure to the GPU heat sink. Allowing all the heat sinks to be merge to spread heat equally. Finally to explain how the piping will cross through the heat sinks. I will drill through and solder a flatten 1/2 inch piece of copper piping through. This will give me 2 built in radiators. If you have any question or want to follow along with me let me know. I will give you a list of what I have gotten so far. Current I am just waiting for the extra GPU and CPU heat sink so that I put everything together. Will update soon and wish me luck.

Attached Files:

8. Chris_c81

Chris_c81 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Good luck with this. Certainly an interesting project, and kudos for risking it! Potential failure could be catastrophic.

Personally I'm of the old school of 'water and electricity don't mix' which is why I've never dabbled with water cooling on desktops! It's never sat easy with me the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Very interesting. For your information: as long as the cooling liquid is kept at a higher temp than the surrounding air, then you should not have to worry about condensation on the pipes. Water will only condense on the pipes when the copper pipe's surface drops below the dew point temp. DPT changes depending on the area temp and relative humidity. Here is the site to calculate that number: Dew Point Calculator (Pipe condensation is a real issue with us diesel mechanics).

The only thing I can recommend to minimize condensation while the liquid cooling system is off is to wrap the pipes. Two mediums I've used before are: vulcanizing tape (works OK) and cork tape (works real good). But your sig says you live in Texas so I would imagine the humidity there to be very low. Unless your R4 is stored in someplace where it's exposed to freezing temperatures, I don't imagine condensation to be an issue for you. Good luck, keep us posted.

10. bigtonyman

bigtonyman Desktop Powa!!!

Reputations:

would be interesting to run a cooling line outside here in alaska if the condensation could be kept down. -40F tempatures would make for some great benchmarking days!! :D

good luck jackgarcia7 and hope the system comes together easily.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.