Alienware M17x R4 usb 3.0 problem

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Robert_84, Jul 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 'nar

'nar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I installed Windows 10 onto a new drive for my M17x R4 and it has this same problem, so I need to stay with Windows 7 for now. So I guess this problem was never really fixed. The windows 8 workaround will not work since I cannot obtain the modified inf files. Back to the hub, or just stick to Windows 7. Why people seem to think that upgrades are always good I'll never know, that is just ignorant.

2. shinji257

shinji257 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's interesting. I have no such issues. In fact I have not had issues for a long time.

I don't know if you have your optical drive still installed but I found the following to sometimes be at fault.

1) Bad connection to the device in question. In my case the flash drive was no longer making a solid connection. Getting a replacement resolved it.
    2) Insufficent power due to too many internal drives. It seems that the M17x may not have enough power to run a spinning drive on the optical bay. Not sure but most of my USB 3 issues disappeared after reinstalling the optical drive.

3. Daniel Jenkyn

Daniel Jenkyn Newbie

Reputations:
    Problem seems to reoccur in Windows 10:

I was running windows 7 with the USB problem. Fixed with the Renesas usb controller.
    Upgrading to Windows 10, usb problem came back and the previous fix does not work.

Any help would be appreciated :)

(PS I signed up just to make this post)

4. paradigm

paradigm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Have you installed an Intel variant of the INF and ME drivers for the R4 in win10 and if that won't work then perhaps you may want to reinstall the renesas controller

5. Daniel Jenkyn

Daniel Jenkyn Newbie

Reputations:
    I have tried reinstalling the renesas controller which did not work, do you have a link to the INF and ME drivers?

6. Architechnicality

Architechnicality Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I upgraded to windows 10 and also cannot download the driver fixes that were available to windows 7 and 8. I still experienced disconnect issues with my older western digital 3 tb hdd with ac adapter. To my pleasant surprise, after turning off all usb power management features in device manager and windows power settings newer external hard drives work at usb 3.0 speeds with no issues! So far I can confirm that the 2TB WD passport ultra works flawlessly on my alienware m17x r4 on windows 10. Maybe the newer firmwares fixed the problems? I don't know why it works but I'm just glad that it does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.