Alienware M17x R4 Pre-Order Configuration Questions... Ask HERE

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by katalin_2003, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dusk Star

Dusk Star Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Seriously, if you get the 900p screen the laptop will feel like a pile of . They have worse color, worse viewing angles, and all-around lower quality before you even take the resolution into account.

As for portability, I carry my m17x r3 almost everywhere, and that's on a fairly large campus. (UofM Ann Arbor) It's definitely doable, but you will need a good backpack. (And you will quickly learn the location of every outlet in your lecture halls!) Of course, most of my classwork is done through ssh, so I /could/ get by with an ultrabook. But where's the fun in that?

Oh, and the r5 should be announced in about two weeks, but it will be more expensive. Just FYI.

2. Shath32

Shath32 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In response to the 1080p upgrade, when I asked the sales rep about it he says that they don't upgrade screens on the m17x R4....

Edit: I also went through the configuration process again on Dell's website and it didn't show the option to upgrade to 1920x1080

3. Dusk Star

Dusk Star Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, look at people's signatures - there are definitely 1080p screens for the m17x r3 and r4. (The r2 was even better, with a 1200p RGB LED screen)

So if Dell isn't selling them anymore, I'd wait for the r5 to be announced, which should happen on the 10th.

4. Shath32

Reputations:
    So apparently what happened is with the refresh coming soon, they are sold out of the 1080p screens. She said they wont get them back in until next week...I'm going to try and use this to my advantage and try to get them to give me the upgrade for free or at least a discount. I was looking forward to getting it this weekend though lol.

5. MickyD1234

MickyD1234 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Think you're right they are running down stocks. The 680 has gone from most sites worldwide and so has the 3D option completely (I was told 2 weeks wait). Have to wonder just what this R5 is going to contain if this is what is happening...

6. Shath32

Reputations:
    Yea and I was planning on buying tomorrow...that's what is frustrating. I talked to 2 sales reps, one said they discontinued 1080p and the other said they'll be back in a week.

7. Marvin17

Marvin17 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    thats so wierd i just bought mine about a week ago(coming next tuesday:biggrin:) and i didnt hear any of this.

8. Shath32

Reputations:
    It's starting to get worse sadly :/ All of the sales reps are talking to me like I'm crazy and the option never existed. You're lucky you're getting yours :p

9. sscamaro

sscamaro Newbie

Reputations:
    Within the past two weeks, the choices for M17's was changed from an option for 1920x1200 dpi to 1600 x 900. I want to use this machine for photography and am concerned about screen resolutions. Any thoughts?

Second thought is it better to step up to the M18 where the higher resolution is available?

Thanks in advance.

10. MickyD1234

MickyD1234 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I've seen a LOT of people with the 900 display say it is rubbish and a plainly much poorer than the 1920x1080 (don't believe 1200 was ever an option on the m17x?). Looks like dell are trying to get rid of old (unpopular) stock before the R5 release - either wait or get the m18x

Good luck ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.