Alienware M17X R4 - MSI GTX 1080 MXM

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Jordanator88, Jan 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlienHack

AlienHack Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

you got thats score with the card power limiting? did you ever manage to get over the limits?

also what hapened with this thread/project? no new news for 2 months?

2. Jordanator88

Jordanator88 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I never ended up putting any more time in to this project to see if I could get past the power limitations. I got busy with work and other things. I basically wanted to see for myself the possibility of this specific MSI GTX 1080 card in the M17X R4 working and its potential. I want to use it as a laptop so I am restricting myself to a cooling solution that fits inside the case (only a little tweaking to get the back cover on) and one 330W PSU. Liquid metal would be the next step thermally, but even if I get a 20°C difference, based on my industrial fan cooling test I have a feeling it would still thermal throttle due to lack of thermal mass (lack of additional heat sink fins). I will try it because I like hard facts rather than feelings. I do not wish to add supplemental power to the card so I am left with looking into how to override the MXM slot power feed limit, which I have not done. I actually don't know who on this forum would be the most knowledgeable in this department.

3. CaerCadarn

CaerCadarn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have the same card and I want to put it in the m17x R4 too. I am on stock Bios A14. Iirc you need an unlocked one to set the screen on PEG-Mode for 120Hz screens.
    I have the unlocked A11. Is it safe to "backflash" from A14 to A11? Or would it be possible to provide me the actual unlocked one (A15)?

Gesendet von meinem CLT-L29 mit Tapatalk

4. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    A15 has CPU performance downgrades iirc due to Spectre patchs

5. CaerCadarn

Reputations:
    What would you recommend then? If it can be done with stock BIOS, I'm fine!
    If backflashing from A14 to unlocked A11 is also safe, I'm a happy camper too!

6. M18x-oldie

M18x-oldie Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Why would you wanna set PEG for the 120 Hz screen in the BIOS?? As far as I know that's driven by the eDP connector, so as soon as you connect the 120 Hz eDP screen, it's automatically set.

Yes, me also have read about that.

7. CaerCadarn

Reputations:
    Because it was mentioned very often in similar threads like this one and then another one is writing that he has done the 1070 upgrade on stock BIOS. Another example: allegedly Eurocom cards are running "only" with 60Hz (LVDS?) other cards only in 120Hz (eDP) which gets me totally confused!

In general you can find a ton of information but not a single "How-To" / Guide how to set up a 1070 (AsRock) in a m17x R4. That's why I'm scraping together all the information in the forum and start asking stupid questions like this one....

8. M18x-oldie

Reputations:
    Hehe, there's never a stupid question, I was just wondering why :)

Normally the 120 Hz screen is the best for upgrading the r4 with nVidia cards, as it is just plug & play (PEG is set), no need for changing anything, screenwise, in the BIOS (!), but your Asrock has "no output to internal display" iirc, thus you would need stick your r4 to a screen/TV via HDMI, to be able to have a display. Then you would need a stock vBIOS of a 1070 mobile to flash it, so you would have an internal output.

Then your r4 would rock again, like crazy :D

@Rengsey R. H. Jr. I think you were the one who had adapted an Asrock card, correct?

CaerCadarn likes this.
  9. M18x-oldie

Reputations:
    Tach auch :)

10. CaerCadarn

Reputations:
    Juat to get an impression what I gathered so far:

GTX 1070 MXM successfully working on Alienware M17X R4

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...other-socket-victory-against-bga-crap.803637/

Step by step:

Unlocked BIOS -> Aktuell A14; verfügbar unlocked A11, stock A15

120 Hz screen -> unlocked Bios required? -> BIOS-Settings, Primary Settings to „PEG“

GPT partition and UEFI BOOT -> your boot options are set to pure UEFI, which means Load Legacy option ROM is disabled

INF.modding -> Once we're here, we can boot with the GTX 1070 inside the laptop, and it appears as something like Microsoft basic display in Windows device manager. So we need to download official driver from Nvidia, extract it and mod the .inf file. I used this howto: http://null-bin.blogspot.fr/2015/08/how-to-modify-nvidia-notebook-driver.html

Then it just installed fine after disabling Windows driver signature enforcement of course.

The GPU POWER LIMIT throttling issue -> BIOS-Settings -> „adapter warning“ - disabled

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.