Alienware m17x R4 GTX1070 mxm successful upgrade

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Handale30, Oct 19, 2018.

?

What would you rather have?

1. Alienware 17 R3 6700HQ GTX1070

2. Alienware M17x R4 3820QM GTX 1070

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Handale30

Handale30 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey guys, did I also need to apply thermal pads on these chips? Just wondering because I saw various cards with pads there and others without so not sure. Thanks!!
    Screenshot_20181031-042724_Gallery.jpg

2. M18x-oldie

M18x-oldie Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes.
    Me always cover all components, to have good overall contact and be sure to avoid any heat related issues. Even that ones on the far bottom left have a pad applied, although not covered by the heatsink totally.

Handale30 likes this.
  3. Handale30

Handale30 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks @M18x-oldie , well don't know if its worth repasting to add those pads immediately though... ughrr!

@EepoSaurus and @True Debreuil
    On a side note, the 330w adapter is here!!!!!! I tried both, the 240w and 330w, ran 3 firestrike test and also Battlefield 1 gaming performance Annnnnnnd… scores on 3Dmark didn't change a thing what so ever. I was pretty disappointed I purchased the adapter for nothing, money to the waste.
    330w Firestrike.jpg

But then I tried them both during gaming and the performance did change. take a look at the video I made for you guys to see real world performance difference running the same intro video with both the 240w and 330w adapter. Remember Alienware includes a Hybrid power BIOS on their laptop that have the GTX 1070 with the 240w adapter so this makes up for those extra watts needed sometimes. I am so glad I found this improvement and I thank you guys for the input, so well this answers the question about power starving and how Firestrike doesn't really stress the system enough in its combined test.

Focus on the CPU power consumption and how it relates to the core speed when it goes down and also monitor the fps.
    Hope this helps the community and is of value to some. Cheers guys!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    EepoSaurus and M18x-oldie like this.
  4. Embargo_Headshot

Embargo_Headshot Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello guys!!! I’m really need your assistance!!! I have Alienware m17x r4 with gtx660m 2GB, 16GB RAM, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40 GHz, Display 60 GHz, BIOS A14 - UEFI, Windows 10 x 64, and of course I want to install gtx1070:) I was read a lot of forums, and I don’t understand about display. Is it possible to install gtx1070 without changing my 60 GHz display? Can I just only modify my heatsink? What about laptop battery? I can keep present? Or also need to by new? I understand I need to by new adapter with 330 DAP power. Present is 180 DPA. I hope on yours cooperation. Sorry for my English:)

5. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    60HZ screen should be fine with an unlocked BIOS, as that would allow you to run the HD 4000 with the 1070 to translate the 1070's native output into the the 60hz screen. I don't believe heatsink mods are needed if you choose to buy a AMD heatsink. As well, you need a atleast a 240W adapter, 330W ac adapters are cheap enough

Embargo_Headshot likes this.
  6. Embargo_Headshot

Embargo_Headshot Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you Grant B G. I don’t want by new radiator, I want modifying my, just clearing some problem area for installation. That’s why I asked about radiator. My PC master, who will do all that job tell me all possible withou new radiator and he was installed before, but I’m not fully trust him))) and I’m afraid my alien can KAPUT)

7. M18x-oldie

M18x-oldie Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Has anyone tested that, though?

8. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Its been done on the Alienware 18.

9. Embargo_Headshot

Embargo_Headshot Newbie

Reputations:
    I will do that in Friday, after installation I will post it) anyway thank for all.

Handale30 likes this.
  10. 2CPU

2CPU Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have a very similar setup. Are you running Win7 or Win10? I believe HWInfo only controls the GPU fan in Win10

Handale30 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.