Alienware m17x R4 GTX1070 mxm successful upgrade

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Handale30, Oct 19, 2018.

?

What would you rather have?

1. Alienware 17 R3 6700HQ GTX1070

2. Alienware M17x R4 3820QM GTX 1070

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Handale30

Handale30 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You should, wait for a nice one to appear and snatch it. I wasn't even thinking of upgrading, just wanted to have it as a vintage laptop but dayum I was gonna miss out.

2. Handale30

Handale30 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    +1 on your M18R2, have never seen one in physical must be a tank. The video card is a Zotac 1070 version and yes it has the standard form factor as opposed to the MSI but I am running an MSI Vbios to get it yo work nice with my laptop.

3. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What is the wattage for the VBIOS? MSI cards are known to be the best built 1070's, and have a higher TDP than normal, the card might not handle it for long

Handale30 likes this.
  4. Handale30

Handale30 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    True MSI being the standard. And the vbios increasing my oem TDP was precisely my biggest concern too. Now this one has a max TDP of 115w if I'm not mistaken and even with the MSI vbios it never goes past 120w I assume because its TDP is physically controlled by the card itself so I'm not worried at all. :) also @Striker1234 has been using it for a long time already and I checked with him before going with this option. Zotac works with nvidia since so long ago. Hopefully it last me the life of my m17x r4, or until a gtx 2070 mxm comes along:eyeroll:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    Striker1234 and Mastermind5200 like this.
  5. True Debreuil

True Debreuil Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Handale30 likes this.
  6. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Are your score posted in that thread? I dont see any evidence that he is power throttling. The zotac card will on average score a 16.2k to 17.4k graphics score. His cpu might be pulling it down but id be curious to see your results. Here is a 1060 and 1070 run in an alienware 17r1 for reference.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  7. True Debreuil

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    This was one of my 1st runs. This is with optimus mode too. In my m15x lower combined score than what my system was meant to have always indicated power throttling (with the gtx 980m and 940xm) so I would assume it would be the same for these systems.

EDIT: My cpu was clocked at either 37/40/41/42 or 40/40/41/42 too

Handale30 and Rengsey R. H. Jr. like this.
  8. True Debreuil

Reputations:
    our physics scores are virtually the same, his graphics score is much higher, yet the combined score is shows 3fps difference and only 800ish point difference. Same with the 17r1 score, I don't know if that cpu is throttling but its performing much lower than it should. Judging by all these benchmarks I've seen the AW 17 power motherboard power throttles alot harder than the m17xr4. IIRC the case was the same for the AW18 compared to the m18xr2.

9. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The combined score is a very taxing test. Even with a high end desktop gpu you are likely to only just break 30 fps. The 3 fps increase is massive by that standard. Power throttling for the gpu might be a consideration but only if the card is underperforming. It matches mine and other 1070s as well as exceeds the average performance of the msi 1070. I do agree that the 17r1 power throttles much more than the m17xr4. I've seen it first hand.

10. True Debreuil

Reputations:
    https://www.3dmark.com/fs/11962936 compare it to a score like this. I think its only slightly power throttling but, If you want to fix it you need the 330w adapter

EDIT: Heres another with an i5 - https://www.3dmark.com/fs/13382718
    Half the physics score but higher combined score

Your only going to see this throttling when both CPU + GPU are under load. Just running the GPU or physics test alone won't throttle as the CPU clocks down during the gpu test and GPU during the physics. You can reduce this by turning on vsync or using a frame limiter.

Handale30 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.