Alienware m17x r4 Extreme

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Henrik9979, Sep 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henrik9979

Henrik9979 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That was very clever where exactly does the wire connect?
    Also I need a proper guide for setting up costume fan settings in hwinfo64. I mean I know how to make the fan spin at different speeds at different temperatures, but it will always result in system lockups (which can be unlocked by changing the screen light, don't know why) or the fans will be stuck at one speed, mostly idle speed which causes overheating and emergency shutdown.

I have seen a guide disabling support of something to make it stabel, but then you only would have 3 fan speeds. Low, medium and full speed. I don't find that satisfying at all.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  2. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    You could also go the route of fabbing a fan bypass switch so you have EC control and then full speed for when you want it.

3. 2CPU

2CPU Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The thermal switch just goes on the blue PWM line from the GPU fan. So when it gets too hot it disconnects the line and causes the fan to go max speed.

I also have HWInfo problems and it constantly freezes. That is why I put in the backup thermal couple and epoxied it to the GPU copper heatsink.

For settings of HWInfo I have Polling as follows:
    Global 2000ms
    SMART 500 cycles
    Emb Controller 10000 cycles

Then for settings I have disabled Wake disabled GPUs and disabled poll sleeping GPUs

I find that the fans only actually work when the Hwinfo is open and then I also click the Fan icon to bring up the second fan window. Kind of stupid that it just does not work in the background.

Attached Files:

4. MagicMike

MagicMike Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You can make fan control autostart along with hwinfo by editing the .ini file and adding this line:

OpenFanCtrlMin=1

You are welcome:)

Papusan likes this.
  5. 2CPU

2CPU Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ah cool. Saves a step =)

MagicMike likes this.
  6. Henrik9979

Reputations:
    But Hwinfo64 will still freeze correct?

7. 2CPU

2CPU Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I haven't found a setup that does not eventually freeze. It seems the program cannot handle a bad reply from polling or PECI request. I could of sworn that the really really old hwinfo ver I had originally never froze. But now I am running the latest one but adjusted the polling to have it happen less often.

I cannot recall what ver the old one was that worked. I find myself just manually running 100% fans when gaming. Then it will just freeze at 100%. (Click system auto then set manual and drag to 100%)

8. MagicMike

MagicMike Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  9. 2CPU

2CPU Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So no fix unless you remove the battery. That's a bad work around.

10. Henrik9979

Reputations:
    It would be nice if their is some sort of timeout function, so when a collision happens and the program gets stuck it will automatically cancel the request and try again.

Of course when you are using water-cooling like me the fans will never kick in but I found out, it is not good.
    The chipset (PCH) uses the body too be cooled down so the fan needs to spin to cool the body down.
    So when I am using water-cooling I set the fans to run at 2900 rpm then they are quite but still blowing air.

So I use Hwinfo64 to set a custom fan curve based of the PCH temperature.
    But as long it keeps freezing it is useless. :(

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.