Alienware m17x R3 gpu upgrade

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Kamil Ilyas, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Aziris

Aziris Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I also got some damage in my AMD 6990 card (17 R3), built in system tests say its a memory issue.

I got an upgrade card, GTX 765m, yes that requires some fiddling to get it running fully, I am following this guide : and got a black screen at starting laptop(no beeps) after card re-install.
    Pulled BIOS battery for 5 min, and now it boots, but before entering F2 BIOS settings freezes :(

Anyone had similar experience ?

2. ftgil1

ftgil1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Just mention there is bargain clevo 680m on ebay uk at the moment.
    Taken from a Clevo P150em last weekend. Obviously you need to know what you are doing to fit it into an alienware.

3. MickyD1234

MickyD1234 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Haven't seen that one but I know that in 120hz models it fails bios and you can never get to the bios settings at all. Yours seems to be able to start on the iGPU but once it detects the card it locks.

It's something to do with backwards compatibility on the bios and the vbios of these early implementations on lower power cards, the 780m is fine, as is the 680m.

I'd like to be wrong and there is some way to get it going but I only recently worked with a guy that was trying to get the 675m working and could never get past POST.

Good luck