Alienware M17x-R2 Cooling system issue!

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by cristit, Feb 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cristit

cristit Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi there,

I've got a M17x refurbished from an well known company. I'm from UK.

I think I have a problem with the cooling system/fans. They are too loud when the system is idle.

My specs are: i7 X920 CPU, 8 GB DDR3, 2 x 640GB HDD, 1920x1200 RGB Display, Bluray Burner, 2 x 1 GB Radeon 5870.

The bios version is A10. I upgraded the vBIOS 3 weeks ago.

My issue is: The fans are constantly running at high speed and the laptop, in idle mode (only browsing + yahoo messenger) is too loud.

I have a friend with the same laptop, M17x. He has the i7 at 1.7Ghz, not 2.0 and ati 4780 not ati 5850. The cooling system is working as it should on his machine.

The refurb company said it's normal because I have a bigger CPU and graphics cards. They said it's normal but I don't trust them. I can't touch another laptop in my city, with the same specs.

I think it's a hardware issue. Maybe the heat sensors or something like that.

I attached some screenshots with the temps to this post.

For moderator: I've started this thread because I really want to get the answers asap.

2. ils

ils Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would check task manager to see if anything is putting a load on the CPU first. I have the i7 940 and it idles around mid 30s and the fans are spinning in the upper one thousands.

3. CptXabaras

CptXabaras Overclocked, Overvolted, Liquid Cooled

Reputations:
    there is something wrong.

first of your readings about temperatures are just fine. normally the fans with those temps should run at about 1800/1900 rpm's (almost unaudible). Once the cpu reach 55 degrees they should go up to 2500 rpm's or so. Also the for the video cards if i recall it well over 65 degrees the should go at 2500 rpm's and over 78 the run at 3200 rpm's (which is not max speed, those fans can run as high as 4200 rpm's).

In conclusion from your screenshot i cannot see any of this condition to justify the speeds you got.

Of course this is based on my experience with a non xm cpu. may be different for you. Some of the XM guys may chime in and give you better information

4. BatBoy

BatBoy Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Are you overclocking at all?
    Are you using Throttlestop?
    Are you attempting to control fans using HWiNFO32?

If any of these are a "yes", return to stock and post results. Use GPU-Z to capture sensor output.

Also, you might want to boot into the Diagnostics partition and run the Diagnostics on the fans. The diagnostic will run the fans at high briefly. This will give you a comparison of what the fans on high actually sound like.

5. cristit

Reputations:
    @ils - 0% used CPU, completely idle mode.

@CptXabaras - I know. This is not my first laptop. Any ideas how to fix it?

@Badboy - NO is the answers at the 3 questions. I attached the GPU-Z sensors screen shots for both vcards. The fans are not at high speed but I think the speed is at second stage (30%). I don't know where is the problem. CPU fan or vCards fans..

I will run the Diagnostics right now.

Thank you all.

Attached Files:

6. Mumak

Mumak Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    30% or the RPM reading in GPU-Z is invalid, because the GPU doesn't measure the fan speed in this case. That's why HWiNFO32 implementes the M17x-R2 EC sensor, since this is the only valid reading of fan speeds.

7. CptXabaras

CptXabaras Overclocked, Overvolted, Liquid Cooled

Reputations:
    CpuZ will try to read the fan speed value as it would be for a desktop system, where the videocard fan is feeded from the video card it self and give the output for the fan speed on the same way. But since the fans on the AW are attached directly to the motherboard and his EC is what is getting the signal from the fans, the reading of GPU-z fan speed will be useless

8. ils

ils Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just thought there may be a process (or two) that would put spikes (and not a continuous) on the CPU just enough to raise the fan speed.
    How about try booting into safe mode and see if anything is different?

9. cristit

Reputations:
    No, the machine is in idle mode. No app running. The fans are constantly at first stage speed.

I will try the safe mode boot in a couple of hours.

Later edit: I've run the Hwinfo32 on my friend Alienware, the one with i7 Q820M and CrossfireX 4870. The EC said 2017 RPM for CPU, and ~1950 RPM for each vCard.

I've checked my laptop again and I have 2665 RPM for CPU, and ~2550 RPM for each vCard.

The result of my tests is: FANS are ~500 RPM higher on my machine.

10. cristit

Reputations:
    I think I've found the problem. Please check the temp1 sensor in the attached screenshot.

Any idea where the sensor 1 is?

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.