Alienware M17x-R2 Buyers Remorse

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by balthazar2k4, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. balthazar2k4

balthazar2k4 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So I just got my M17x-R2 today. I bought a refurb fully loaded (940XM, xfire 5870m, 8GB ram, RGB LED, twin 500gb hard drives, bluray, nebula red) machine and I am starting to feel like I made a mistake. I am a little disappointed in how hot the machine runs and the fact that I will have to mod the machine or buy a notebook cooler at the bare minimum to control the heat. Before I bought this, I was swinging between the M17x and a Clevo X7200. I could have gotten the Clevo for about the same price and I think I was swayed by the looks of the Alienware (which is something I have a tendency to do). Now I am starting to think I should sell it and buy the Clevo. Can anyone help me feel better about my purchase so I don't jump ship?

2. Marvie100

Marvie100 On a Mission

Reputations:
    Care to explain what you mean by this? Are you getting thermal shutdown's? What exactly is "overheating" in your opinion?

3. balthazar2k4

Reputations:
    I have started using Throttlestop and I can't seem to get anything over about 2.5ghz with all 8 threads running without hitting 100C. Even when I have throttlestop off and I try playing Crysis Warhead the machine starts throttling after a few minutes. Frankly it is pretty annoying and something that really should be addressed on Dell's end. Clearly this machine needs a better cooling system if I can't even run a game with a stock setup without it jumping wildly in frame rate due to throttling.

4. DaneGRClose

DaneGRClose Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You're basically trying to overclock up to levels approaching desktop cpu power balthazar2k4, you can't expect a bone stock cooling system to handle that with no sweat, especially one that was designed to run mobile system level components. You've probably messed with the tdp/tdc settings as well so it makes the heat go up like crazy, the 940xm is an amazing chip but it's a small house heater lol. To top this off the one problem I've always had with my refurb/outlet computers from Dell/AW is the thermal paste job on them sucks. It's not too difficult to replace the paste and pads and when you do you have a screamer of a system.

5. balthazar2k4

Reputations:
    I agree on the overclocking aspect, but I have tried the machine even at stock and had severe throttling issues. As for changing the thermal paste, well, I attempted that on Saturday, but I scratched the plastic up by the play/pause buttons and then bailed before I did anymore damage. I would really like to change the thermal paste on the CPU if nothing else (I have some MX-4 I used on my recent desktop build), but I am scared to death I am going to damage the machine in the process. It just sucks that I should have to do that at all. I mean, after all, this wasn't a cheap machine even as a refurb ($2900), but I could have gotten a new custom built x7200 for a hundred bucks more. I am really kicking myself right now.

6. iclicku

iclicku Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You posted today and said you received it today. So you should be able to return it. Not sure why it's a hard decision for you if you're so unhappy with it. Call Dell up and express your concerns and go buy what you want.

7. balthazar2k4

Reputations:
    Ah yes, well, unfortunately I purchased it from ebay. Obviously I realize that was a gamble, but I figured that I could always resell it on ebay if I really didn't like it. It's just a pain....

8. alienwolf

alienwolf Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did you check out the m17x tear down video on you tube? It's very easy to work on these if you just watch what your doing and check out the videos first. As far as the heat ya they run hot but as Dane says nothing they cannt handle.
    Good luck on reselling it on ebay, you really should have bought from the outlet store as they back these laptops 100%. I don't think you will recover your 2900.00 as they are cheaper on the outlet right now. Try and replace the paste and give it another chance, I really don't see the Clevo as better had one :cool: Luck on what you decided. ;)

9. TurbodTalon

TurbodTalon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Please don't sell your laptop man. $2900 is a steal for starters, especially since the 940XM is $1250 on its own. You'll work out the kinks, and you'll be as happy as a pig in poo. You can't, however, expect to have that CPU overclocked to the gills and produce no heat. Sorry. Never going to happen. Put some new paste on the CPU, and I'm positive you'll be fine.

10. balthazar2k4

Reputations:
    Yes, I watched the teardown videos on youtube. I attempted to follow them and even though they make popping off that top panel look easy I am apparently challenged. I just can't get it to give. As for selling it, well, I have been checking Dell Outlet for the last couple weeks and I haven't seen one yet that was the same build as mine. That is why I bought it on ebay (not because I thought it was cheaper). I don't expect to get what I paid for it, but I think I would come out ok. I just don't particulary want to deal with selling it. Any suggestions on the best way to pop off that panel? I have tried to use a small flathead screwdriver, but it is being stubborn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.