Alienware M17x R1(Predell) - Two 260m's to hopfully one 5870m

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by cpuboye11, Jun 18, 2017.

1. cpuboye11

cpuboye11 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello Everyone!

I have an Alienware M17x R1 Or Predell I believe - that came with Two 260m's and I hope to use a single 5870m. I already purchased the GPU from Ebay and attempted to install it. When I powered up the system, the monitor would not lite for several seconds. Entering Bios after the computer came alive showed that I was running on the 9400 only (integrated graphics). I turned off the integrated graphics and the same thing happened, stuck on integrated graphics. I decided to let the system boot in to windows thinking that the gpu would simply show up within Windows, or at least attempt to install or show up as a unknown device. This did not happen. I attempted to at least view the bios from a DOS usb, but that failed.

I'm aware that Alienware is very picky about hardware - like most laptops. I am a PC Builder, but have not spent much time with Laptops. I'm hoping there is a way to get this card going in this machine. I just recently upgraded the CPU to a qx9300. Its not super fast - not like my tower - but it gets the job done if I want to mess around at a friends out and play some SC2. If any one has any suggestions, I'm open to them. Thanks you!
    Kyle