Alienware m15x with 9800M-GT2 Problem

Discussion in 'Alienware Area-51/Aurora and Legacy Systems' started by Darkfly, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkfly

Darkfly Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Recently my Alienware m15x (not the new model) 8800GTX card died and I contacted Alienware and they confirmed yes it is dead and they will send me a new card out but they said they don' thave any 8800GTX's in-stock at the moment but will send one out as soon as they get one in. A week later the card arrives but its a 9800M-GT2 512mb and I looked up on this forum and one post said they don't stock 8800GTX's anymore & offer the 9800m-GT2 instead which is what I got (don't know why they just didn't say that on the phone).

Anyway I installed the graphics card in the notebook, everything went perfect. Turn on the pc and switch from the Intel (intergrated) card to the Nvidia card but when I log back into Windows it still says its using the Intel card. I switched the graphics using fn+F7 again and still when rebooted still says Intel card, did this a few more times then opened up the notebook again, unscrewed the card & put it in all over again and then booted up the pc and still all I get is the darn Intel card everytime I switch graphics.

Is there something I am supposed to do once the 9800M-GT2 is installed, I am supposed to install the driver for the 9800 off Alienware's site before it recognizes the card let alone starts working? and if so how do I install the driver when its using the Intel card?

Thanks in advance

2. ramatar14

ramatar14 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    you could try to disable the integrated graphics in the bios

3. Darkfly

Reputations:
    How would I disable the intel card exactly? I know where the bios is but never played around with it.

4. Darkfly

Reputations:
    Also I've just been reading an old thread and one person was asking about how to install the graphics card once AW had sent it to him and he asked about the Thermal Paste(grease) since Alienware don't tell you on the tutorial on the site or the over the phone if you ever need to apply any extra Thermal paste (yes there is still some leftover from the heatsink).

5. darkloki

darkloki Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For me there is no real answer to this, it's like a series of playing around with it until you get it working right. Scary as it sounds, that's really the honest to god truth for myself. But anyways, try resetting the motherboard by taking out the Cmos battery and powering it up with no battery and then put the Cmos back in and try. That worked well for me once, not so well other times.

But I blame windows 7, i like it but it's not an easy/smooth transition on this system as it could be.

6. simonmpoulton

simonmpoulton Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well firstly I hope you did clean off the heatsink and reapply new thermal paste these cards run hot and you dont want to do anything to compromise the cooling of them.
    Somewhere in the BIOS there should be an option which says either Graphics Mode or Integrated graphics. Basically whichever option you find in there which is related to the graphics you need to set Integrated to Disabled or Dedicated only. Although I dont know if the old m15x actually had that option. The only other thing I can think of at the moment is to pull out the battery, ac adapter and the internal battery (button cell battery), press and hold the power button for 5 seconds to drain any power left in the system and then leave it for 60 minutes. After which reconnect the internal battery followed by the normal battery and then the AC adapter and try it again.

7. Darkfly

Reputations:
    This is the older model of the m15x so I don't have Windows 7 on it, still Vista :eek:

Ok I'll try all this stuff a bit later, never thought about the Cmos battery like the previous poster suggested.

8. Devcon7

Devcon7 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    update the bios so it will read it

9. dwend

dwend Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There is no BIOS option to switch it on the old m15x, make sure you are on the X36 BIOS.

What I have to do to mine if I get stuck in the crappy Intel chip, is to pull both battery out (smart-bay and rear bay), disconnect power plug, put finger on power on for about 30 seconds, sometimes I push the m1 on the mouse pad for good measure. stick every thing back in and start.

10. darkloki

darkloki Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't know what you're talking about, I have the Area-51 M15x with windows 7 on it. ....

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.