Alienware m15x hybrid cooling.

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by mike26668, Nov 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike26668

mike26668 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry for any writing errors but i am dutch so its not my native language.

Project Hybride cooling

After i installed my ati 5850m and the I7 920xm the temps got pretty hot on my Alienware m15x. the Ati gave a core temp of 87 degrees and the intel 78 heavy load so i figured i had to make some kinda of cooling mod. the problem started after i saw a watercooling mod somewhere it would not be able to be portable and that was not a option. for gaming it needs to be cold and for working or other thing it needed to be portable so i found a way and tho its expensive for me it was worth it........even if its only just a project i could work on. So i figured lets make it with quickconnectors but the problem would be i dont have any native cooling anymore.....i found the solution in hybridecooling.

Hybridecooling in fact double cooling the Original fans keep working and on top of that i added watercooling, because the m15x has heatpipes mounted on some copperplate this was possible. The plan was buy some waterblocks and attach them on the heatpipes and after a long struggle on how to attach them i found a way. Because of the soft aluminium it was hard to make a good and strong connection between the heatpipes and my waterblock, so i decided to bolt them on with a spring that gave the pressure on the heatpipes.

Vakantie Italie en Indo 729.JPG

The laptop Always was on a coolermaster laptopcooler and that was the base for this mod as well so i had to adjust this too fit my plans.

Vakantie Italie en Indo 751.JPG Vakantie Italie en Indo 755.JPG

Vakantie Italie en Indo 756.JPG Vakantie Italie en Indo 767.JPG

But the nerd i am wasnt really satisfied it needed a fancontrol as well so i made a coolertower with build in fancontrol that i made from a piece of aluminium and some profiles. also a few sensors needed to be there witch came with the fancontrol.

Vakantie Italie en Indo 719.JPG

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  2. King of Interns

King of Interns Simply a laptop enthusiast

Reputations:
    Awesome if it works. Someone on the TI forums made plans for watercooling but then never updated his post.

If you can go all the way and show it works well! It is an exciting idea!

How did you attach the waterblocks? I guess that is what they are?

Watercooling would certainly help ALOT when it comes to CPU overvolting. 4ghz easily attainable with an XM chip with effective cooling!

3. fatboyslimerr

fatboyslimerr Alienware M15x Fanatic

Reputations:
    Wow amazing idea. How will you disconnect watercooling from the heatsinks/heatplate when you want to move laptop around?
    Would love to see this in action.

4. mike26668

Reputations:
    In order to make the fancontrol work a adapter with 12v was needed and also 5 v so i made a little converter for the 5v.

Vakantie Italie en Indo 727.JPG Vakantie Italie en Indo 721.JPG

i bought 2 quickconnecters (male and female) so disconnecting the watercooling would be easy and that gave me a other problem the sizes of the fittings where different so i had to buy a few new ones. At that point i bought the better stuff avalible for my plan, i found fittings from Barrow they wher very cool and well build so i had to have them........the project became pretty expansieve now but hey it's a hobby.....lol. The good part was i could use the cheap fittings as a test setup just to see how it worked.

Vakantie Italie en Indo 720.JPG Vakantie Italie en Indo 732.JPG

Vakantie Italie en Indo 734.JPG Vakantie Italie en Indo 728.JPG

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  5. King of Interns

Reputations:
    I love your ambitiousness! Can't wait to read your write up on how to do this awesome mod!

6. mike26668

Reputations:
    For now i only have à few things done like connecting the coolblocks on the heatpipes, Some thermalpaste between them should be enough for heat transfer. I agree it Seems à bit rough the way i attachet them but trust me its the best way. There are spring for the right pressure and contact between waterblock And heatpipes.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
    King of Interns likes this.
  7. fatboyslimerr

Reputations:
    Top down picture please! Good work so far.

8. King of Interns

Reputations:
    If this works, I hope you can make one for me! :D

To be honest the GPU water cooling is pretty overkill because simply with powerful air cooling temps can be keep quite low. At 980/1150mhz my 680M at 1V doesn't get above 65C ever while gaming in ambient 20C. Next gen GPU's are becoming more power efficient too we can expect the cooling to hold out fine in the near future at least..

The cpu however would REALLY benefit from this mod! The m15x main bottleneck is the cpu now. Water cooling could really turn the tables! If this works well I do seriously suggest you make some money making this for others. I would buy into it in a heartbeat as a 4ghz 920xm can outlast the modern haswell machines.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  9. fatboyslimerr

Reputations:
    King...way ahead of you. I'm looking at this
    Alphacool HF 14 Smart Motion Universal Copper Edition | eBay
    Its a universal CPU/GPU block that should fit nicely on top of the copper heatpipes although I might try to find a smaller one.
    The detachable fittings from koolance are really expensive aren't they?

10. mike26668

Reputations:
    It's not a cheap project that i can say , but i love trying making things work.
    the project wil be finished in about a month than i will see if it works great or maybe fail (i hope not tho)

Cpu block that i bought where only 9 euro

MIPS EVGA X58 Micro NB Cooler POM | MB - special water cooler | MB - cooler | Water cooling | Aquatuning United Kingdom

the quick release are pricie i agree.........but worthy for my plans.

Quick Release Fittings | Fittings | Water cooling | Aquatuning United Kingdom

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.