ALIENWARE m15 Ryzen 5900HX | RTX 3070 - [GAME TEMPS]

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by iunlock, May 18, 2021.

1. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks @Papusan for the great link/video.

This is the future; 100C all day all the time. Manufacturer couldn't deliver good cooling system but a genious engeneer somewhere had this great idea: «people (customer) are stupid so it will be easy for us to make them believe 100C is normal. This way we make more money»
    The problem here is that the engeneer was.....................................right!!!

Vistar Shook, iunlock and Papusan like this.
  2. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    Thanks. :) I'm fully aware of all the limitations and physics in general, hence why I had mentioned that I don't expect a miracle. The point that I was trying to make is that what comes from the factory across all laptops when it comes to the thermal paste etc... is not adequate and usually very cheap quality with poor contact. I'm most curious to see in these 8 core thin and light models as to how much improvement, even if it's small that can be had. That's all.

Vistar Shook and Normimb like this.
  3. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    It still baffles me to this day how some can not see how they are being played by these outrageous temp numbers and thinking that it's normal.

The sad truth and reality is that most people don't even check and have no idea what's going on. This is the herd that becomes the justification for why companies continue to release 100C+ running laptops and somewhat get away with it.

What's even more discouraging is how the recent bios update raised the temp to 105C. :rolleyes: I guess that 5C is seen as an improvement? Unreal...

4. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Agree. If anyone can improve those system it's you. :)
    But 100C is here to stay... i think,

Thanks for your testing.

Papusan, Vistar Shook and iunlock like this.
  5. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    I'll try my best. :) With Ryzen mobile it basically boils down to hardware as it lacks anything Intel mobile has on the software side.

With more and more people getting their Ryzen based units, I think the reality has sunk in that AMD was not the saving grace that team red was hoping for. I appreciate the fact that there are options now with different flavors to accommodate each camp, but now that the truth can easily be seen with Ryzen mobile under delivering, I foresee this turning into a blaming game called: Who to blame next?

What Ryzen mobile has going for it is that it sips fuel and can be pretty efficient. However, if you tone down an Intel mobile chip to the levels of Ryzen mobile you can achieve the same lol...

I'll be releasing a lot of data soon...

DreDre, Papusan, Rei Fukai and 4 others like this.
  6. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    I’m still pretty impressed with how far Ryzen has come in such a short amount of time. And that alone would earn my money. But, even when the first gen Asus G14 was new @B0B pointed out a lot of limitations of the cpu from a tweakers point of view and that once you start putting high end GPU’s in these laptops that they were gonna run hot. And he was 100% right. And with no throttle stop or Intel XTU alternative to undervolt we’re kinda at the mercy of manufactures making good cooling solutions. Which sadly a fair amount of them don’t seem to be doing that.

But, I’m glad we have a choice atleast. And honestly that’s never a bad thing.

B0B, iunlock and Vistar Shook like this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Going with an AMD solution has some similarities with going down the Linux road. There is an immediate sense of gratification to the extent that you are "sticking it to the man" in a very real sense, but you'll have to resign yourself to the idea of settling for whatever you can get. And, there are a lot of things that you'll do without because there are a lot of things that simply do not exist in the alternative dimension. In some cases, the substitutionary solutions that do exist are half-baked, less than elegant, or too broken to be taken seriously. That might be OK for some people in some scenarios. For other people or different scenarios, it's really not OK.

DreDre, Vistar Shook, B0B and 5 others like this.
  8. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Beautifully explained.

9. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    I was in the middle of going all out and doing what I normally do with LM etc... however, I stopped myself before applying that shiny little silver rain drop on the CPU and GPU die, because I figured it would be a good opportunity to show what an average non-conductive paste could do.

Over the years I've collected a nice shoe box full of those little thermal paste tubes that come with GPU water blocks. The one that stood out as being likely the best candidate was GELid so I decided to go with that.

Upon testing the contact pressure on both the CPU and GPU, it was surprisingly pretty good with it a little light on the edges. ie... usually when testing the contact between the die and cold plate it's usually heavy (pressure) on one side and light on the other in a gradient fashion. However, with the m15 and the way the heat sink sits on top of the board, it's pretty secure/flat and actually provides good contact.

For those of you repasting it should work out pretty well for you.

Other than applying the thermal paste, doing a minor adjustment on one of the ends of the heat sink and adjusting the thermal pads (which are pretty decent btw) here is a 1:1 test with playing Overwatch on Epic Settings, same maps, etc...

I'll provide the original out of box screen shot here back to back so that it's easier to compare.

Repasted w/ GELid:
    [​IMG]

You'll notice that the GPU boosted a tad higher and was less as expected.

The overall averages are pretty good and again as expected. What I mean by "as expected," is that we know how bad stock thermal paste can be. :D Therefore, this is not surprising at all for a lot of us that has been flying for a while...

The GPU die has more pressure than the CPU side so it's not surprising that the Max GPU temp peak is the same. However, if you look at the average it ran a lot cooler with some pretty respectable numbers.

The CPU's average temp isn't too shabby either with it drawing just a tad bit more power, yet staying relatively cooler compared to stock.

You'll also noticed that the overall CPU clocks were much higher with it repasted, again as expected... "cooler."

Bone Stock Out of Box:
    [​IMG]

Now time to go onto LM'ing etc... but I hope this gives a quick general idea at to show that there are improvements that can be had, granted you're able to preform a repaste. More to come on that... ;)

Note: After LM'ing I plan to do a 3 game back to back to back (OW, Flight SIM, and COD) test consisting of ~2 hours or so of game play to let the system fully saturate to its peak, along with other realistic CPU and GPU benchmarks. From my past experience, when a laptop is completely saturated (the peak of the heat sinks limits) the average can range from anywhere between +3C to +5C in general so keep that in mind.

Overall, although this is traditional paste, it's a nice precursor to see the potential benefits of LM, which could possibly chip a tad bit more off of the peak... only one way to find out, but I'm pretty confident that there will be some improvements even though if it's small.

I'll keep you all posted.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  10. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    oops post.

Normimb and Spartan@HIDevolution like this.