ALIENWARE m15 Ryzen 5900HX | RTX 3070 - [GAME TEMPS]

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by iunlock, May 18, 2021.

1. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    Here are some initial out of box gaming temps playing Overwatch. The GPU temps aren't too shabby I must say given its form factor and it being bone stock. That heat sink is doing a ton of work in trying to also cool 8-cores. Tough task as we should have all expected.

This is going to be very interesting between the Ryzen and TG model. It's nice that there options now to choose from...

There is a lot more testing to be done and I'll release them as quickly as I can.

Latest GPU Driver at the time w/ Fresh W10 installation.
    [​IMG]

Original GPU Driver. Out of box OS etc..
    [​IMG]

Now time to open it up and try to work some magic...

*I'm reserving my final thoughts until I can thoroughly test both variants. It's still very early and I'm in the process of capturing all the raw data so that I can make it available for you guys.

Attached Files:

2. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    w/ Traditional Paste:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  3. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    w/ Liquid Metal:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  4. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    Pics 3

5. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    After Pics

6. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    For giggles... thought I'd just post this here to share.

This is a bone stock Fire Strike run with the gpu driver that it shipped with. For some reason it was acting wonky, but for the sake of the combined score, not too shabby. 13,344.

I'll be running some more benches with a newer driver soon...

5900HX / 3070 Laptop
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Rei Fukai, Normimb and c69k like this.
  7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Classic Dell 100C out of the box at any given place. I think Apple M1X or M2 will be running at 120C on dell XPS/AWs even with Liq. Helium cooling 2.0.

8. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info on out of the box temps.

My toughts: GPU temps seems fine and even if Time Spy score is good on both CPU/GPU i am still very upset to see that dell sells an overheathing/thermalthrottling laptops like that. In games it will thermal throttle like crazy and even GPU will suffer (my guess on shared heatsink).

Not everyone can repaste/repad, undervoltt etc....to have this gaming laptop doing what it's suppose to do: «Gaming.»
    Anyone who buys this laptop for gaming will be disapointed. I understand you will work your magic on this machine: repasting/repading??? not sure but....still i doubt.

When you repaste i suggest you give a try to Thermalright TFX. That paste is extremly thick and cannot be spread like Kryonaut. The X patern seems to be the best way to apply this paste. I am not saying this paste will be the best for this laptop. But if you test with thick and soft paste then TFX is the thickiest of all.

DreDre and Vasudev like this.
  9. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    No problem. I've been gaming on it in stock form and it's not as terrible as it may seem in relation to the cpu thermals. Of course the cpu runs hot and so does other laptops in this class. They all need some work to some degree.. some more than others.

I've worked on quite a few systems over the years. :) I'm just reserving my full opinion until I know for sure instead of speculating. .. not expecting miracles, but there's room for improvement with the cpu temps, because one thing that we know for sure is that stock factory paste from any of the brands are not adequate, cheap and break down fast.

Rei Fukai, Vasudev and Vistar Shook like this.
  10. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The 3070 in the ryzen m15 definitely took a hit with older drivers and a lower TGP. My 3070 in the m17 r4 hits just under 32K in firestrike graphics. Looking forward to see what your TGP is in benchmarks and how far you can clock it

Last edited: May 18, 2021