Alienware m15 R2

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Terreos, May 28, 2019.

1. guozzi

guozzi Newbie

Reputations:
    All hopes are gone now (see the above tweets from Joe Olmsted). I don't like the reason he gave for the 16GB limit. Obviously, Apple has been selling Macbook pro 15 with 32GB soldered RAM for a long time now.

2. Zephyril

Zephyril Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, that's disappointing. Another mark against this new refresh... Maybe I'll revisit the Aero 15 and hope that Gigabyte has improved the back-light bleed issues on their own update.

etern4l likes this.
  3. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's a real shame it's only soldered memory and no upgradeable memory. Frank Azor said there was one free slot. Which is sad since he clearly has no idea about his own product. Should probably keep him away from interviews in the future. This is nice find though as I haven't gotten any anwsers when I tweeted to dell, alienware, or frank.

Thanks for sharing.

This is sad news but not enough for me to lose interest. I'll still be getting one. ;)

4. stryderxx

stryderxx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Max 16gb and a smaller 74wh battery = no go for me dog. I'm skipping the m15 R2. Maybe the R3 will have better options.

FXi and etern4l like this.
  5. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    While I'm likely focused on the 17, 16Gb and soldered... ugh
    No 4k screen yet for the 17, HDMI 2.1 around the corner, all say "wait and see"

So then the debate turns between the 51m (32 and real memory slots, but all the pains of dual PSU's and a desktop CPU I don't need) or the m17r2. I am making the forward looking guess that whatever 4k screen is due to show for the 51m is likely to be placed on both models.

6. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There are some 4K screens showing up on other manufacturers 17" laptops. No OLED yet, but atleast a more suitable screen should be on the way.

I had the 51m for roughly 20 days before returning mine. And it was do to the dual power bricks. So if you're gonna be taking that big boy with you alot then that might be a negative. Performance was awesome and the laptop itself wasn't unreasonable in size.

FXi, Darkhan and judal57 like this.
  7. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For someone who doesn’t look this, m17 r2 fortnite gameplay from Alienware. It’s kind something keeping cpu temperature on 75 by red alert and max to 80ish till it throttle to under 75, interesting. I’m more curious about i9 on smaller m15, gpu load, and cores frequency.

Terreos likes this.
  8. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Would just wait for independent reviews. Anyone else noticed that thin DC cable sticking out from under the laptop? Could be powering a thin cooling pad. We also don't know what that round white stand does, or whether the laptop is a stock production unit not enhanced in any way. Ambient temp can be safely assumed to be 18C max lol

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  9. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That is the light/rotating platform cable.......

10. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'll hold final judgement from real world use. But that is much better cpu temps than what I had on the M15 even after a repaste. So that gives me hope. Would have been nice to see that rumored 5.2 ghz on the i9 we saw floating around. :eek:

Btw has anyone heard definitively about this 8 phase on the higher end models? Is that for 2070 and up? Or is it for the 2060 model also?

Edit:
    Whoops! Nvm! They did one on Rage 2 with the 9880H. And the temps are. . .good. wow.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    Joikansai likes this.