Alienware m15 R2

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Terreos, May 28, 2019.

1. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Unless you have your rig in you sig I assume you're an Apple Macbook Pro user. ;) Plenty of people who don't own or intend to use a product chime in on a subject. That's called being enthusiast. Hell I for one have fantastic conversations with users that use laptops from companies that I don't trust. So I assume nothing and talk to everyone as if they know nothing. Comes with age. Probably that stupid thing called wisdom. :confused:

2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    LOL, that's not an amazing guess TBH - I'd expect more of wise people of age such as yourself :) Good suggestion though, populated the sig.

3. paradigm

paradigm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Looks good’ish, but for me the soldered RAM took it out of the recommendation pile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CptXabaras and etern4l like this.
  4. CSHawkeye81

CSHawkeye81 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Soldered Ram is the only Meh point. However I have a 17% off coupon that expires Mid-Month that I want to use so I will be selling my fully loaded M15 if anyone is interested.

Terreos likes this.
  5. CptXabaras

CptXabaras Overclocked, Overvolted, Liquid Cooled

Reputations:
    Not good for me. Soldered Ram is a complete no go for me. I do prefer the aesthetics of the R1 better than the new design too. And considering that the R2 will have the same graphic cards option than the R1, i don't really see the point on to change mine. Also Having managed to tame the 8750h temperatures, i will keep mine untill something that is really worth the change comes out, not really in a hurry and satisfied with what i got. But hey! that's just me. :)

etern4l likes this.
  6. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    sometimes i wonder how much space did they really save by soldering the RAM onto the motherboard. The laptop dimensions are not exactly small or particularly light to begin with. MSI GE75 managed to pack in a full 150W RTX 2080 within relatively similar package and weight, all without having to resort to soldered RAM. and as an added bonus, it even supports 2.5" SATA. Really sad with the direction alienware has taken.

Vasudev, etern4l and Papusan like this.
  7. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not sure this is about space. Presumably the same restriction applies to the m17. It's likely about getting people to buy expensive memory from Dell, and perhaps shaving 30 sec off the assembly process. Sad.

alexnvidia likes this.
  8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    In the GE75 they skimp on the battery size and chassis itself, it is a very, but really poorly made chassis which is pretty much nothing more than a thin plastic shell. So that adds some extra space all in all. But mostly the battery, which is an older style pack which uses cylindrical lithium ion batteries, easier to rebuilt a failed battery pack though!. Also the heatsink is quite barebones for the size. Lots of nice specs on paper but the execution is just so extremely cheap. But yeah soldering ram is for me the red line. WIll never buy a gaming laptop with soldered on ram.

9. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Do they send those to you in the mail? The most I've ever gotten is 15%. I have a 10% waiting for this though.

10. guozzi

guozzi Newbie

Reputations:
    2.PNG 1.PNG

Terreos likes this.