Alienware m15 R2

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Terreos, May 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, those pro review sites like ultrabookreview aren't infallible then. Then again a friendly Blade user mentioned Razer added the option to increase the power limit to 90W, so it must have been lower to begin with. That would also explain the lower benchmark scores in reviews. Doesn't matter. Next frontier: 100W.

2. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Nothing ground breaking. Just a youtuber I like to promote. He has the best laptop reviews I've seen.

June 11 can't come soon enough to see how this thing is gonna be priced once you start adding luxury options. :p

Darkhan likes this.
  3. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I like his FPS mouse reviews, but I have no idea why he thinks those clearly smaller air vents provide better air flow.

4. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think you misunderstood with cpu power limit. I meant gpu tdp not cpu tdp limitation, yes on current bios Blade laptops cpu tdp is limited to 45 Watt (on max gaming profile, on balanced it’s 25 watt), but apparently they’re working on it since before it was higher like 35 watt and 60 watt. On gpu side it’s always 90 watt on both profiles.

Darkhan and Terreos like this.
  5. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    The way the M15 is designed it's air vents are very restrictive. Not sure if you seen one in person but alot of the holes are not real and just for looks. Like the top has holes all along the top. Most are not actually holes. Even on the bottom. If they're anything like the Area 51m then it "SHOULD" breath better. You could be right. No one seems to mention the feet. The Area 51m had a very raised back end do to longer feet in the back. I hope that carries over as the M15 and M17 basically lay flat with no room to breath.

Flying Endeavor, Darkhan and rinneh like this.
  6. Zellio2013

Zellio2013 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Have they finally added a larger trackpad :rolleyes:?

7. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The RTX versions dont have the 45watt TDP limit on balanced.

Oh dont mention the feet to him, I tried and he went in all condenscend mode etc. While plenty of reviewers including Jarrodtech of whom he links a video on did extensive testing that fans where being choked on the m15

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2019
  8. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have been talking exclusively about dGPU TDP the whole time. I was lead to believe by ultrabookreviews that the TDP is 80W (link above), and a certain super friendly Razer user corrected me by politely advising that 80W/90W dGPU TDP is user-selectable in the latest Synapse. So, if it was 90W all along, that would mean all the subpar Blade benchmark scores were achieved despite the dGPU TDP being set to 90W...

I don't know what you were on at the time of writing. It should have been clear by now I own the m15 R1, hence I've seen one in person lol. The vents on top are all real, although very elegantly camouflaged. I'm not sure what you are talking about most of them not being holes. Did you get it mixed up and were thinking about the sparse R2 honeycomb design?

Here is a good no-nonsense preview of the m15 R2 from NotebookCheck:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/New-D...ntially-a-miniaturized-Area-51m.421368.0.html

The vent row on top seem perhaps just a bit taller, but because of the honeycomb layout, there is actually less vent space compared with what it would have been like like if it was an R1-style rectangular area of the same outer dimensions.

The rear vents look a bit larger, however, they are constrained by some mesh, unlike the R1 vents.

Side exhaust vents on the R2 are smaller as this picture makes perfectly clear:

[​IMG]

Bottom speaker vents around the battery SSD and RAM area are completely missing in the R2:

[​IMG]

BTW Speakers are down-firing in the R2, another disadvantage, albeit minor I guess.

They claim there will be no 32 GB option from Dell initially, maybe later when they find a compatible SODIMM lol. Couldn't make this stuff up. That also suggests that people will be stuck with single-channel RAM, I'm not sure what the across the board performance hit on that constraint would be, but would assume a good 5-10%.

Agree with NotebookCheck that "Dell is promising 30 percent improved cooling with all the new changes to the chassis." is the most that can be said about cooling in this new laptop at this point, if we are being gracious.

Please, not with the feet again. Making them taller by a few mm, such that it's still acceptable to the thin crowd, wouldn't move the needle. The core issue is the overly small chassis.

I guess they could make 1-3cm foldable back feet but that would again add some visual bulk or come at an expense of interior space. Such feet would probably break too prompting returns and repairs. They can't afford the bulk / fragility, and are clearly scared to death of falling behind in the race to the very thin bottom, so to speak, thanks to Apple, Razer and the people who enable those companies by buying their notebooks.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  9. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well we need to see results, I think everyone agrees. There's a lot we don't know until we see the inside. Skeptics have often been "right" about Dell's new models, but sometimes there are improvements that are good enough to please some folks. For me, they lost me at 16Gb max ram. Since I'm now even more focused on the 17 (keypad), no OLED/4K for the 17 also is a hard stop.

But just some thoughts:
    • Soldered ram was a bad move but since every notebook is a series of pro's and con's that each user decides the mix suits them I wouldn't be focused only on that
    • Is the cooling actually improved? The move from Cryotech 1.0 -> 2.0 wasn't stunning, so they'd better show something
    • Smaller battery only works if there is some positive to outweigh the downgrade
    • Noise? Again, we'll have to hear it, but no review has mentioned it that I've seen.
    • Is the 17 any better at cooling with the larger chassis but the same size battery?
    • Keyboard is better - will purchasers agree?
    • Wifi 6 chipsets, how well do they improve the latency?
    • Are we so close to a juncture point of 10nm and updates to the RTX GPU's that it makes sense to wait for those rather than purchase now?
    • How crowded are the M2 slots now? Will M2 drives get heat throttled in the new design?

I ask most of these things so that discussions expand the merits of various factors not just one. And these are questions mind you, they may all represent downgrades if they weren't done well. And remember for the time being you can still get the m15 r1 and m17 r1 if you find the net sum of the changes is more of a downgrade than an upgrade. Keep that in mind because that won't last forever. You'd still be getting 8xxx CPU's and 20x0 grade GPU's, so it's not a completely night and day difference in basic performance.

$.02

etern4l likes this.
  10. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's amazing and shocking they reuse internals between the m15/m17. All that extra space goes to waste basically.

Another point is that for those who are OK with a smaller battery, the current design offers an extra 2.5" SATA slot. That's up to 4TB SSD or 5TB mechanical storage that's gone in R2. Even my favourite reviewer NotebookCheck made the mistake and stated that storage options remain the same. Nope, less choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.