Alienware m15 R2

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Terreos, May 28, 2019.

1. Dan@Dan

Dan@Dan Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Shows you how good they know what people want. The AW13 was a brilliant machine and only needed modernization. Had they right thickness for good cooling and offered enough space for 2 sodimm and 2 M.2, yet was build like a tank and had a great battery life.

etern4l and sn00ka like this.
  2. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It also had a very small screen for its size, especially vertically-wise. I guess a 3:2 screen would have fit there nicely.

3. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    It probably didn't sell as well as they wanted. So they axed it. Plus I'm sure they thought that since the m15 was close to the same size they were giving us an improvement. The new R2 versions if built with the same material as the area 51m will be tanks. Still I agree with you. A smaller version still would be nice. But I don't think there are any 144hz 13.3" displays. So probably not likely to happen.

4. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Or they just wanted to save money by cutting down on the number of different system designs.

Terreos likes this.
  5. Keith

Keith Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Am I the only one that gets irritated when Azor constantly refers to every laptop he shows off as a "bad boy"?

Papusan, Terreos and etern4l like this.
  6. Zephyril

Zephyril Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    OLED on the 15", but the numpad was dropped. Numpad on the 17", but no premium screen for content-creation (not even 4K currently). Soldered RAM... Smaller battery...

Why did Dell have to take a step forward and a step--or a few--back?!

I hope that upgraded cooling is significantly better.

FXi likes this.
  7. sn00ka

sn00ka Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Seeing Dell use cheap tactics to save $, Just goes to show they’re running out of ideas on improvements. As for cooling, I wouldn’t hold my breath as we all know what’s to come. In the end you’re just another # in their stock market bump. Look to intels new gaming laptop lineup with the dual fold out screen looks very promising & innovative.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...ps-dual-screen-foldable-windows-computex-2019

8. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Totally likely. Like I said it likely didnt sell as well as it's larger brother. So they made the larger laptop smaller and figured it would make everyone happy. But, we all know that never works out.

For me the upgrades out weigh the downgrades. Much cleaner look, slim bezels, hopefully improved keyboard, improved track pad, and hopefully better cooling. Out of all the things they took away the smaller battery is the only one that bugs me. It will likely only have 3 -3 1/2 hours of battery. Enough for an inflight movie. I am curious if the 240w brick will be enough for the i9 versions. Might snag a 330w regardless.

Flying Endeavor and Darkhan like this.
  9. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The battery is a showstopper for me, and sorry, I'm not buying a laptop with soldered RAM if I can help it - if only to send a message. I am also fairly comfortable that the new CPUs won't be significantly faster than my 8750 (with HyperX Impact memory lol) - not without heavy laptop modification anyway. In summary, no technical reasons to upgrade for existing m15 users are apparent so far. The improved VRM? Seriously? The CPU takes up 20-30W in games and runs at 70C.

10. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    The 9750h definitely isn't much of an upgrade to the 8750h. Single core sure. But, in games it really doesn't make any sense. So sticking to the 8750h is a good idea. The 8 cores will be interesting to see if with the proper tweaking they will run without alot of thermal throttling.

My M15 ran cool on the GPU at mid 60's to low 70's. But my CPU ran roughly 76-90. Depending on the game. And that was after a repaste and undervolt. So I'm willing to give this new one a try.

But I agree if it makes too many sacrifices for you then there are plenty of other options. Alot of new laptops coming out.

Darkhan likes this.