Alienware m15 R2

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Terreos, May 28, 2019.

1. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, and some laptops like MSI comes with 16gb single and other free slot to let user upgrading their self, of course should be same modul, idk about ram that AW use though. As long it's same latency, timing and voltage I think you're good.

2. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Apparently there is an M17 R2 also. I missed that. And these guys mention there are no so-dimm slots. So RAM looks like it is fully soldered. I'll be surprised if they don't offer 32gb sometime down the road. But that will add to cost. Ouch! Hopefully the M17 gets good screen options like the M15. Otherwise it'll be M15 for me. Though I loved the Area 51m large screen.

Wonder why there is no g-sync? :(

3. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That guy mentioned even Razer core x chroma has Titan ridge TB3 controller, which is huge wrong.
    Isn't m17 was also no g sync option? Idk what the difference with g sync nowadays, on my 144Hz laptops monitor without it, feel similar to me as playing on my predator g sync monitor, no lags stutter whatsoever. Better battery life is plus point to me.

4. Nyceis

Nyceis Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  5. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For the 4k model I'd like g-sync. At 120HZ and up I agree it's not completely needed. Looks like the 17" only has FHD 60/120 Hz. Bleh. lol. Will have to see pricing to see What I order. I'm willing to give the OLED screen ago.

That was quick. Nice find.

6. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Gsync kills battery life so that would be another "no, thank you" from me. Could just get an A51m if you want g-sync.

FXi likes this.
  7. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Looks like they hired a marketing expert from Apple:

"
    ADVANCED ALIENWARE CRYO-TECH V3.0
    Our latest thermal technology, Advanced Alienware Cryo-Tech v3.0, is engineered to accompany and protect 6-phase CPU voltage regulation and 8-phase GPU voltage regulation, as well as a 10% diameter increase in the CPU fan blades and 20% diameter increase in the GPU fan blades of the new m15. In addition, the new m15 offers improved airflow and 20% less obstruction than Cryo-Tech v2.0 by directly channeling the cooler air onto the most sensitive cores of the system.
    "

Larger fans do sound like a good idea, but could be complete BS depending on the RPM. If there was a real improvement why not quote airflow / cfm? Vents look smaller, especially on top and bottom. Let's see some reviews of CRYO-TECH V3.0 :)

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  8. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Outstanding battery life: A Lithium Ion 76WHr battery delivers longer uninterrupted gameplay.

Hahaha, this is Apple-grade BS. They've put in a much smaller battery and claim it delivers longer battery life lol

9. battousai10k

battousai10k Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Spec wise seems similar to ASUS GX502 Zephyrus S. Although the ASUS does have gsync with option to switch to Optimus.

c69k and Terreos like this.
  10. guozzi

guozzi Newbie

Reputations:
    Can't believe that they updated the m15, m17 so early. I like the new looks but spec wise I think they actually downgraded. The original m15/17 can take up to three storage options, or you can get the 90wh battery without the HDD slot. The most unacceptable downgrade is the soldered RAM! If the news are true and the RAMs are soldered, we will be limited to 32GB max (and pay a lot for that). The orginal m15/17 can be upgraded with dual 32GB RAMs and we can choose higher quality option. Overall, I think this update is quite disappointing. I guess more soldered means more profit.

Flying Endeavor and etern4l like this.