Alienware m15 R2

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Terreos, May 28, 2019.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Look at this. When bad wasn't enough. Dell continue screw up their new Alienware models. As we know... No SODIMM slots and no WIFI slot. Now also with weaker Power adapter for the brand new models with 2060/2070. Maybe Alienware's Dell's engineers think if they welded on soldered ram chips and soldered wifi card on the MB, this means their brand new models need less power?:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/comments/c8wmpc/180w_for_new_m15_r2_rtx_2070maxq/essf7b6/

etern4l, jclausius and Mr. Fox like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Once the digital diarrhea begins it is difficult to stop. But, it seems that some enjoy that malady.

They only produce broken rubbish now. And, people are willing to pay money for it. Go figure.

What I find utterly stupefying is that the decimal point was accidentally moved one digit too far to the right and there are still people willing to pay for it. Cray cray.
    upload_2019-7-6_21-22-34.png

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  3. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    They are definitely trying to go full Apple, but without MacOS, Apple Stores (local same day support in major cities at least), and with a bunch of other direct competitors actually offering superior products (discounting AGA which is their only USP). Sad indeed.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    Ashtrix, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. Wilhelm_SI

Wilhelm_SI Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This seems like a really bad joke. 6k for what? What we could do with 6k on at least two systems...jesus. This is the point where all head management should have been fired. But we know how the world works.

5. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have a feeling they (gaming laptop producers) will all eventually start using LM or at least high end paste as well as be forced to improve heatsink consistency. We'll see if they get the hint, but that and undervolting are the #1 and #2 suggestions for system improvement around here and it won't be long before the hint (Asus using LM) that it can be a competitive advantage to your product.

6. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This has been the case for a while and Dell hasn't changed one bit in the right direction, quite the opposite in fact.

DrewN and FXi like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    +$6000 usd ?:eek: Is it made of Gold? But as we all should know... All that glitters is not gold

All that glisters is not gold—

Often have you heard that told.
    Many a man his life hath sold
    But my outside to behold.
    Gilded tombs do worms enfold.
    Had you been as wise as bold,
    Young in limbs, in judgment old,
    Your answer had not been inscrolled
    Fare you well. Your suit is cold—
    Cold, indeed, and labor lost.

[​IMG]
    Use LM won't necessarily means better cooling. Just a cheaper way than put the money on better heatsink, pipes, fans and grills. Wrong way doing things! The cheap and lazy way.

Ashtrix, CptXabaras, Darkhan and 2 others like this.
  8. Kryologik

Kryologik Newbie

Reputations:
    I ordered myself the new r2 primarily for the purpose of software development with the added bonus that I may get to game on it. After reading all the comments on here, I’m very on the fence as to whether or not I’ll keep it. I’ve always used MacBook Pro for work and was already hesitant because windows is such a pain in the ass for what I do.. i guess it’s no big deal since I have that 30 day window.

Darkhan and unlogic like this.
  9. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Software development? I'm surprised you were not concerned by the limited soldered RAM.

10. Kryologik

Kryologik Newbie

Reputations:
    16GB of ram is fine. Wouldn't mind 32, of course, but Intellij will run with no issues with that amount of ram. I'm more concerned with the number of cores and SSD. Reserving anywhere from 2 to 4GB of ram for the JVM is more than enough. I'm compiling a very large maven project.

Rei Fukai and Darkhan like this.