Alienware m15 R2

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Terreos, May 28, 2019.

1. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    And FPS is also great for the setting i wish he runs not costum setting. I’m just curious as I mentioned above about that OSD red marks, every time it reach 75 or more it down to lower temperature, new tech? Any ideas maybe @Papusan? Or maybe it only my wrong perception, but yeah not bad at all.
    B5376923-6CD5-413D-AD91-33344BA640DE.jpeg

Terreos likes this.
  2. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My M15 would spike like that and drop from anywhere from 5 to 10 degrees. So it might be software? You would think trying to keep it at a more consistent temp would be better.

3. judal57

judal57 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

from this photo i can see that the PCH is going to be active cooled now. also seems like they have fixed the 3 screw desing

[​IMG]

also the fans looks bigger

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2019
    c69k, Darkhan, Terreos and 1 other person like this.
  4. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    At what temperature does PCH temp become a concern? Fans look identical, although I recall a claim they are 10% larger or something, whatever that means (probably just area rather than diameter). Ultimately it's all about airflow which is unknown.

5. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nice. So long as the videos we've been seeing from alienware this should all be good news. Heat kills so additional dissipation is always welcome. Hard to tell if they fixed the three screw problem, but I really hope so. Bob of all Trades said it best. We learned in kindergarten that a triangle does not fit into square. o_O

Papusan and Darkhan like this.
  6. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I have said it many times before while tinkering with my own Alienware 15R3 but also units of others, it wasnt really the 3 mounting points that where the problem, it was always the too thick thermal pads and the arms itself that arent stiff enough.

Uneven core temperatures also are an issue on 4 screw heatsinks when the pads are too thick, or if the heatsink is warped.

The margins of error and quality control just needs to be better in the majority of laptops.

c69k likes this.
  7. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well then I'll be prepared to get some after market thermal pads. My M15 r1 was plagued with uneven temps on the cpu. Granted I got them under control compared to the factory which it would hit 100. But the difference between my coldest core to my hottest was always about 13-15 degrees. So something was definitely wrong. And that was with a repaste.

8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Check if the inductors arent pushing the heatpipe up. YOu cah see it through tha tlittle gap underneath the heatpipe on the CPU side. Some users reported that the heatpipes are hitting the inductors and that is why the heatsink cant make proper contact.

c69k likes this.
  9. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I already returned my R1. I have full intention to get the R2. But if I get a similar result as my R1 one I will double check this. ;)

Darkhan likes this.
  10. guozzi

guozzi Newbie

Reputations:
    Service manual for new M15 R2 is available now. What do you guys think of the thermal design?
    Flipped motherboard reminds me of MSI GS series laptops.
    BTW, the wifi card is also confirmed to be soldered...
    1.PNG 2.PNG

Terreos, Joikansai, Zephyril and 2 others like this.