Alienware m15 R2

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Terreos, May 28, 2019.

1. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Darkhan, steberg and Joikansai like this.
  2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    LOL, good luck. Enjoy your soldered RAM and let us know how well the CPU is running at 5.2GHz.

CptXabaras and c69k like this.
  3. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If it runs at 4.8GHz I'd be surprised. I'm sure liquid metal would be required to run it that high. 16gb will be enough for me, but that does bite it's soldered. It's the design and the fact the the current M15-m17 have poor cooling solutions. The Area 51m was pretty solid so if they learned from the Area 51m and put that into a smaller machine I'm all for it.

Flying Endeavor and Darkhan like this.
  4. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm not going to argue about the design - I hate the new one, would be ashamed to pull that thing out of the bag in public, however, what's wrong with the temps?

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/m15-m17-bios-1-6-2.828681/

ROTFL, please visit the 51m users' lounge sometimes.

5. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The CPU isn't the great temps wise. After a repaste and undervolt it's reasonable. But I'll still high 90's depending on the game. Probably a warped heat sink since that still seems to be an issue from what I've read. And I don't much care what people think.I drive and Orange car. So grabbing people attention isn't anything new to me. lol.

I had an Area 51m. I was probably the within the first dozen of people on the forums that had one. Mine was great. The dual power bricks was too much for me and I sent it back.

6. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Haven't seen a single report like that here, certainly not after just undervolting the CPU which everyone does. Congrats on your A51m not going up in smoke during a Minecraft session though.

7. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can't wait for this review:)
    There's not clear yet if it's all soldered, some laptops like Asus soldered the ram as well but there's other free slot for user upgrade.

Darkhan and Terreos like this.
  8. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I joke with my one buddy I probably didn't have mine long enough to find out. Had it for roughly 25 days. I've been meaning to double check to see if they made change to prevent that.

9. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    LOL, you do know RAM should be upgraded with identical modules, and that Dell RAM has fairly poor specs (CL), right? AFAIR the default stick I got in my m15 was CL17 or CL18, which I just threw out and put in 2 proper CL14 HyperX Impact modules.

10. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm converting you buddy. You will join the ranks. lol.

I have seen some some websites talk it has ram slots. But, I've sure it will be soldered. If that came up I'm sure it's true. I hope they don't do what Asus does. That's just odd.