Alienware M15 (Brand New Slim Model) - Gamescom 2018

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by WongJJ, Aug 24, 2018.

1. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I actually do like the existing alienware laptops, I have to admit that the bezels are a little too wide, (Though I don't mind if it's the glossy panel, as they aren't that much standing out then, because they have a one piece glossy cover over the complete display surface, not just the panel, but also the bezels).
    But I hope that if they do change all the models, that they won't end up like the M15. too much compromises.

So if you guys haven't already seen, there are new nvidia mobile GPU's leaked. The ones leaked so far:
    • 2080 MAX-Q
    • 2070 MAX-Q
    • 2060 Ti
    • 2050 Ti
    It's confirmed that these are all for laptops.
    Knowing this, this is what I wish for.

I want the current alienware 15 or 17 laptop. Just like they are, with their lights, the new per key lit keyboard, etc. (FYI, I do think the thickness of those are actually really good for a Powerhouse gaming machine, also like the fact that the thickness is uniform, I hate shapes that are thicker in one place, and slimmer elsewhere, which mostly is, like from thick backside to thin chin)But these are the thing's I'd wish for:
    - I want a 2070 or better, possibly the highest I can get that doesn't throttle
    - Like I said, with either thinner bezels or with the glossy cover.
    - 1440p screen with at least 120hz rr, that is either OLED, or VA Panel with Quantum Dot. And that with G-Sync

To this, and I'm sold.

That's why I actually LOVE the alienware 13, it comes pretty darn close to those specs, only it's a little too small for daily use, especially at 1440p, + the GTX 1060 is too much of a downgrade for my daily use, coming from a 1080 ti desktop.
    Nonetheless, I love the alienware 13 so much, that I got it from my job as my professional machine a couple months back.

I am most likely going to buy the next alienware release that comes with the RTX gpu's, and get rid of my desktop. I hope that I'll like what they'll have to offer.

2. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Was there a new leak I missed somewhere? Where is the source to those leaked models? I'd like to take a look. It was my understanding we wouldn't be getting 20XX series but 11XX series for mobile.

3. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    ssj92 likes this.
  4. Redteam

Redteam Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  5. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    If this 15 gets updated with 2070 then I may be interested. Sounds like a solid GPU.

6. nemoris

nemoris Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah i doubt it's going to be able to have a 2070, tdp will be too high.. 2070maxq sure.

You can see in the notebookcheck link the photo shows only the 17 inchers having a 2070.

Seems like a 2080 non maxq isn't going to be a thing, expectedly.... this means we're not going to be getting even a 1080ti performance in the next mobile refresh.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018 at 11:32 AM
  7. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    and the 2070 is reportedly only performing slightly faster than 1080 desktop card. If the laptop 2070 is slightly tuned down then its even worse....

Wanted to upgrade the GPU in my AGA but not use for it now I feel.

8. evilras

evilras Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just watched the AMA. Given the nudges, winks and smiles i think its fair to say we're getting 2070 max q in this chassis. Also the fact they designed it for the 1080 max q says it can handle more.

The worry would be the cost. If they went with vapour chamber cooling as well as 2070 max q for instance that could add another £200 to the machine top end!

9. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    How long do you keep a laptop? Say 2 years? Is 200 more over that lifespan really so much of a problem? It probably makes sense to just save up for an extra month before purchase so you can get the right config out of the gate. These are NOT terribly upgradeable so best to go balls out and avoid regrets and buyers remorse. At least that is my thoughts on the matter. (Storage and Ram ARE upgradeable, so don't over pay Dell for those any more than you have to :) )