1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Alienware M14x Review: The Best or Worst Portable Gaming Laptop?

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by TechnologyGuide staff, Nov 9, 2011.

1. ahmetcan44

ahmetcan44 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  2. imglidinhere

imglidinhere Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  3. PyroDonkey

PyroDonkey Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  4. Voodooi

Voodooi AFK for a while...

Reputations:
    One of things I will disagree with in the review is:
    "Runs cool even when gaming" <-- Yes, if you play games several years old

It does not run cool when gaming unless you take certain steps such as purchasing a notebook cooler and applying high grade thermal paste (IC24).

Without the above, it runs between 80-90c on a full gaming load. Civilization 5 is the worst culprit, sitting @ 90c, while SWTOR/SC2 sits at 81c.

It's an excellent laptop, besides the heat issues, though. If only they would of ditched the optical drive to help with the air flow/temps.

I just don't like the fact that the customer is forced to spend 40-50$ on a cooler and 20$+time/labour on pasting to get it in the normal temp range.

@telunsu
    It's been my favourite laptop out of my G53/G73/GX740/NP8130 which have all been 1-2k laptops if that helps. I'd recommend it, just be prepared to purchase a cooler/thermal paste, which when combined should reduce temps by around -10c (IC24 thermal paste) & -5c to -7c (cooler) [total -15 to -17c] which are acceptable levels.

The M14X has a better keyboard/touchpad/battery life (5.5hrs vs 2-3hrs)/warranty (next day vs 3-5 weeks at the depot) than all the models mentioned and better portability (8130 is close in portability), however all four models are superior in the cooling department. It's a sacrifice you have to make if you want the pro's I mentioned.

5. Agent CoolBlue

Agent CoolBlue Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I had an M14X for about a month before I sold it. From my time with it, I loved it!

I've owned Sager, Asus, and Dell in the past so the M14X was my first Alienware. I got my M14X for $800 (900p, Crucial M4, Killer-1103, etc. etc.) so it was a good deal either way for me. What I really liked about the M14X was the impressive build quality, great speakers, decent gaming performance, and overall portable package. It was a great hybrid between a conventional "note-taking" laptop and a DTR and I enjoyed it immensely. I still do miss it sometimes as it just ran well and I could pick it up and put it in my backpack without having to worry about battery life too much.

However, if I had to pay retail for it...I would not do so.

6. astrophel

astrophel Newbie

Reputations:
    I am just curious about what CPU is on your M14X?