1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Alienware M14x Review: The Best or Worst Portable Gaming Laptop?

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by TechnologyGuide staff, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Chuckdaly

Chuckdaly Notebook Enthusiast

I find the M14x to be a very nice laptop that has tradeoffs like all other products. Its small, but heavy. Its expensive, but has great fit and finish. Personally, the width of a laptop dictates how portable one is, and the 14" went farther for me than the reviewer. I am not opposed to glossy screens. They inherently offer greater contrast and color fidelity than matted screens. I lose some viewability, but its a tradeoff I have always been willing to make. the lack of a good antiglare coating is where I fault Dell for. I think the disparity in sales between the Toshiba/Asus laptops and the M14x has more to do with product accessibility or lack of than their respective merits.

2. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

That's not true.

3. Convel

Convel Notebook Evangelist

That's why I don't really find the M14x all that impressive/attractive. If they were to keep it that thick I would've wanted even better performance. Since space is precious in notebooks of this size I think including an ODD is a bad move as well. Not that there are many manufacturers following that logic...

4. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Brain size of a planet...

When I was looking for a portable laptop that could game, I definitely considered the M14x. But there are many other 15" machines out there that weigh the same and aren't much bigger, definitely thinner, 1080p screen, and cost up to $500 less for similar performing equipment. That's how I ended up with the DV6z. With coupons and eBates ended up costing me < $700 with 1080p MATTE, blu-ray (that's the other thing no blu-ray in M14x), 8GB DDR3, A8-3510MX, 6750m, 500GB 7200RPM HDD.

5. Gearsguy

Gearsguy Notebook Deity

Yeah but that's also following the same logic as "If youre going to pay $1200 for a 14 inch laptop, why not get a better 17 inch?" In which I say, because I dont need another desktop. Yeah eventually ODD will be dropped but Dell has to go to what consumers want as Alienware is such a large brand. If it hadn't come with one, people would just be complaining it doesnt have one/doesnt have blu ray (like they do)/it can't hold dual HDD's. Hopefully as the "cloud" gets bigger they'll advertise the need to not have one, but for now I think its staying (Note that I dont WANT the cloud, I just dont need a DVD Drive like you).

Anyways, yeah its thick, but eh. The overall dimensions (LxW) is in the 14 inch zone (actually smaller in length and same in width as my sisters Samsung QX410 or whatever, typical 14 inch notebook), so its mighty portable, while still having that kick like the m11x to play most games at the moment maxed out.

6. Ellatan

Ellatan Old Timer

M14x is not only thicker and heavier than its competitors. It also has a larger footprint with greater depth. It is both heavier and larger in terms of depth than a 15 inch Clevo with a similar GPU. So fitting it on a airplane tray table or a college desk could be just as uncomfortable or even worse than fitting a 15 inch laptop. Calling M14x portable is almost the same as calling any 15 inch gaming laptop with GTX 580M portable. They sure are, but to a certain extent.

15.6" Clevo P151HM GTX 580M || 10.08" (d) x 14.80" (w) x 1.38-1.69" (h) 6.83 lbs
    15.6" Clevo W150HM_GT 555M || 9.80" (d) x 14.72" (w) x 0.98-1.46" (h) 5.73 lbs
    14" Alienware M14x__GT 555M || 10.17" (d) x 13.27" (w) x 1.49" (h) 6.45 lbs
    14" Lenovo Y470____GT 550M || 9.41" (d) x 13.58" (w) x 0.78-1.29" (h) 4.85 lbs
    14" Asus U46SV_____GT 540M || 9.65" (d) x 13.11" (w) x 0.97-1.06" (h) 4.85 lbs
    14" MSI X460DX_____GT 540M || 9.42" (d) x 13.35" (w) x 0.88" (h) 4.65 lbs
    13.3" LG P330_______GT 555M || 8.38" (d) x 12.34" (w) x 0.83-1.08" (h) 3.63 lbs

7. Gearsguy

Gearsguy Notebook Deity

I realise you still wish to argue with me on this, and yes you can compare .1 to .1, but all I know is I did real life testing and got really involved in comparisons and found my previously stated results accurate. I didnt just find numbers on the internet.

8. Ellatan

Ellatan Old Timer

Are the numbers online inaccurate? Your laptop is not 10.17" (d) x 13.27" (w) x 1.49" (h) as listed in the manual? I think you have the right to believe whatever you wish defying laws of physics or logic. I've noticed that a lot of Alienware owners are often overcompensating for their purchases, trying to prove to themselves how amazing it was. I'm providing comparisons for people interested, you don't have to trust all these deceitful manuals posted on the internet. I would never say for instance that 128bit GT 555M on the listed Clevo W150HM or P330 performs quite as good as 192 bit on Alienware. Although according to your line of thinking, one could believe in anything.

QX410 should be wider than M14x, but it is not the same depth. Feel free to post a picture and prove me wrong.

9. HTWingNut

If it were benchmarks we were comparing, yes, it would be somewhat trivial. But dimensions are dimensions. There is no debate unless the dimensions provided are incorrect.

If you like the style of the M14x then that's your prerogative, plus the features like a backlit keyboard, then enjoy it. But from a purely size / performance it's no better than most other laptops of similar size (despite calling it a 14" or 15"), and cost of it is more expensive in general as well. The M14x is volumetrically same size (or larger) just not as wide so keyboard doesn't include a number pad.

I owned an M11x R1 for a while and loved it. Solid build. Alienware's are a solid build, I'll give them that. But like Mac's as a user you have to ask yourself how much of a premium are you willing to pay?

10. Gearsguy

Gearsguy Notebook Deity

I wasn't trying to defy the laws of physics on anything, maybe you guys should calm down a bit and re-read my post. Its just a conversation. Anyway, the point is I know you can compare 0.1 to 0.1, like I said, but in reality I find its not that much similar to 15.6 inch notebooks (My 2 friends now with a DV6T/DV6Z but same thing), and my sisters 14 inch normal thin-and-light notebook. I was just inputting my own opinion, and if it seemed like I was trying to come off as God and making my own measuring system I wasnt. I was just trying to say I personally think its more like a 14 inch notebook than anything else, fitting perfectly in a bag meant for the 13 inch Macbook Pro.

Ellatan, I again know you find me annoying because I do not advertise Clevos/agree with you that the m14x is the worst laptop ever made and you continually argue with everything you don't agree on me with with each reply (such as you now comparing performance when we were talking about size), so if you wish to finally PM me about it like Ive been saying, then Id be fine with continuing our fantastic Christmas conversation.

Cheers.

11. Ellatan

Ellatan Old Timer

When I wrote my first post, I didn't even realize it was you, since you changed your avatar. I'm just trying to be objective, don't take it personally.

I don't advertize Clevo over any other laptop. Usually I don't even mention Clevo in my suggestions, they have a very specific niche. Sometimes I actually discourage people from getting Clevo if you actually read my posts. When a person looks for cool LED lights/flashy design/backlit keyboard or GTX 560M with Optimus, I'd be the first in line to suggest an Alienware laptop to them.
    M14x is great and all for people who can appreciate those things, it also has the best performance at 14 inch. What I was trying to point out is that it has width of a 14 inch laptop, but that's the only dimension that fits it. I don't know why you'd want to argue about it, that doesn't make it a bad laptop. Just like Apple laptops are also great for people who can value their style/OSX, even though they cost significantly more.

12. Gearsguy

Gearsguy Notebook Deity

Ah, I get it. Typical biased opinion. I dont even feel like writing a response to this. Neither me, nor any other sensible Alienware and yes, even Mac owner, need to be treated this way. If you wish to know all future posts are being blocked by you Ellatan, Im putting my footdown on getting publicly and privately harassed for owning a brand. I think the M14x and all Alienware computers have flaws, but I still enjoy them no matter what stuff you may pull off the internet. I know it performs great, I know its the size of a 14 inch laptop but thicker because Ive seen it in my own two eyes, and I outweigh the costs of a few hundred dollars more over a clevo to get good features like excellent build quality, sound, and yeah even those incredibly non-sager led lights and such. I hope that people who will honestly appreciate what the notebook has to offer will do so, and if it doesnt fit thats okay, but maybe get everyones opinion before jumping in the crowd.

Done with this thread, Im out.

13. Convel

Convel Notebook Evangelist

I should probably have clarified that I don't mind paying extra for it being small/portable. I share your sentiment as I have a powerful desktop as well. And hey, it's not like I've never even played with the thought of buying the M14x. I realise that consumers still want an ODD (unfortunately), but the end result is a laptop that is too thick for its specs IMO. I realise I'm probably asking for too much since I've really only seen one laptop fulfilling my criterias. The M14x is a good laptop, but focuses too much on reaching out to a broad audince for my taste.

Sent from my Optimus 2X using Tapatalk

14. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Sheesh, hello drama queen. Who's harassing you in this thread? I only see people discussing the machine you purchased.

If you like what you've bought, there's no need to be so defensive over it. Others having negative opinions about the M14x doesn't mean they're persecuting everyone who's purchased one.

Calm down a little bit is all I'm saying. This has been a civil discussion, thus far.

15. HTWingNut

Well, HP received a lot of backlash when they released the older Envy 15 without an optical drive, so they brought it back. Issue is why bring only a DVDRW and not a blu-ray. I mean if you're going to go through the effort to keep it in, at least offer the latest tech. My primary reason for an optical drive is for movies. If it was only for software installation, a USB one will serve me just fine.

16. shriek11

shriek11 Notebook Deity

Are 256 gb SSDs in M14x SATA III capable by default? I just ordered an M14x from the dell outlet mall.

17. DC87

DC87 Notebook Consultant

It appears quiet possible to make it run at SATAIII just use an BIOS version before A07. There's probably a 50% you will have boot issues although.

18. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

The main thing to keep the M14x utilizing the drive at SATA III speeds is to not install Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers. I was able to get my Samsung 830 running via SATA III on it, but I had other glaring issues such as random lockups and could not get the machine out of hibernation/sleep.

That same SSD got dropped into a Macbook Pro and I've yet to have a single issue with it, so it's not the drive...

19. tony5.0

tony5.0 Newbie

Anyone tried M14x to run online trading program? Cos I require real time data streaming and super fast upload issues.

20. spencer.spinach

spencer.spinach Notebook Guru

Ok, I can understand most of the criticism of the m14x based on this review, but how can you give this laptop a 1.5/5 in upgradeability while the m11x got a 4.5/5? You can't even upgrade the processor on the m11x.