1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Alienware M14x Review: The Best or Worst Portable Gaming Laptop?

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by TechnologyGuide staff, Nov 9, 2011.

1. TechnologyGuide staff

TechnologyGuide staff Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  2. sulliboys

sulliboys Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This thing is awesome. Having had one for over 5 months I can say I am impressed. Sure, I was kicking myself for a time about not getting the asus g53, but looking back I'm sure I made the right choice. This thing isn't tiny, but its not as large as the g53's massive 2 inches thick. It is also highly portable, and handles gaming pretty good consildering its a notebook. I'm impressed with it, you should be too.

3. m1_1x

m1_1x Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    hey dont make fun of the g53 :(

4. Jerry Jackson

Jerry Jackson Administrator

Reputations:
    The M14x isn't a bad laptop. As I said in the review, Alienware is telling the truth when they say it's the most powerful 14-inch laptop ... but that only goes so far when there are other notebooks that have essentially the same travel weight but have better in-game performance.

I don't have sales figures for the M14x compared to other 15-inch and 17-inch gaming notebooks but I suspect the market isn't that impressive for a thick and heavy 14-inch gaming notebook that costs as much as 15-inch and 17-inch gaming notebooks that have better performance.

5. kimjo42

kimjo42 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The ONLY gripe I have with the M14x is the screen glare. I also wish there was a dedicated car adapter around.

Weight is fine. Yes, it's heavy for a 14", but we are talking about what, 1 lbs.? Come on that's nothing.
    The heat? Pff. Mine has yet to reach upper 70s. I prop up the back with a book and it's fine.
    The fan noise? Also very easy to cope with, using decent earphones. Sure, you will annoy people at the library, but why would you go fragging in a library?

For those that argue that no laptop is good for gaming, you are wrong. Yes, a desktop is more powerful and cheaper. But you can't really move your desktop in the living room so that your wife isn't bothered by the noise or the bad language when your gaming skills suck one night. You can't take your desktop to the coffee shop to finish a spreadsheet and then play some Civ V on the go.

Everyone has different needs, and a laptop that can handle more demanding games than Angry Birds while at the same time provide decent mobility is a must for many people.
    I agree that if you already have a desktop dedicated to gaming, you don't really need a gaming laptop. But if you can't afford two machines, which would cost over 2k, the M14x can meet all your gaming and laptop work needs, easily.

Most reviews I've read before buying failed to see the point of the M14x. A jack-of-all-trades that sacrifices battery life for power. Plugged in, it's magical! It's not perfect, but unless you get a lemon, it's very close.

Except for the screen glare.

6. Free_Day

Free_Day Newbie

Reputations:
    I have had this device for a couple of months and can say this review is almost completely accurate, but for me this device has been exactly what I needed. Though the device is not inherently portable, it has been far easy to travel with than my previous ROG Asus Notebook and the Aesthetics/Build Quality on this device continue to make this a worthy purchase.

Also after fitting a 120GB SSD as the primary and replacing the Optical Drive with the 500GB Hard Drive this device has been more than I could have asked for.

Note: When buying this device I called a Dell Rep and managed to get my price reduced almost $350AU so I would recommend following this path easing that rather large price tag.

7. IKAS V

IKAS V I'm addicted to laptops!

Reputations:
    It's a pretty good laptop but the the few flaws are pretty bad mainly the glossy screen.Not really that much smaller than the M15x.
    I miss the old M15x.

8. Rami

Rami Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Glossy screens have got to go. I'm glad other manufacturers of gaming notebook have started to get a clue, and at the least offering an option.

9. kdskamal

kdskamal Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Jerry, can you comment on durability of its hinges? There were some people who were complaining about the weak hinges in M14x. The problem is not as as bad as M11x first gen, but I would still like to hear your comments on it.

10. Jerry Jackson

Jerry Jackson Administrator

Reputations:
    As far as hinges go, I can say that the hinges continued to hold up just fine during our time with this review unit. That said, the hinges on my personal M11x R1 held up fine for a little over one year and then failed/snapped.

Let's just say I'd feel more confident about the screen hinges on the M14x if Alienware used a different hinge design. The screen lid is pretty big and heavy compared to the centralized location of the hinge(s).

I suspect the hinges would be stronger if Alienware put two separate hinge structures closer to the sides of M14x (one on each side). When you have a centralized hinge structure the weight isn't as spread out and the hinge is even more vulnerable to torque (twisting of the screen).

If you are using the M14x as a desktop replacement then it's a non issue ... but if you regularly travel with the M14x (constantly closing and opening the lid and exposing the notebook to possible drops while you carry it around) then the hinge structure "might" be a concern.

Again, I cannot in good conscience tell you that there is a problem with the hinges on the M14x. They worked exactly as they should during our time with the notebook. I just think there are alternative ways to design screen hinges that offer better support and long-term durability.

11. Selacstellap

Selacstellap Newbie

Reputations:
    m14x is designed as 'the combination of portability and performance' but I think it makes this laptop neither so portable nor so fast, an embarrassing status.

12. DC87

DC87 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I bought it for the fact that it meets my needs, I don't need the best graphics performance but I wanted enough to play games I like. I wanted something portable and a bit more compact then my past laptops 15.6+. And something that has good built quality. I'm in school to be an IT professional and I like to play some not insanely demanding games, so this works perfect. :D

13. IKAS V

IKAS V I'm addicted to laptops!

Reputations:
    We dont need reasons for members to justify there purchase, i sense a littlle regret coming from M14x owners.

14. Gearsguy

Gearsguy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Dont mean to bump an old thread, but just wanted to ask this quick question about the review. On the m11x r3, many users stated the screen is better than the r1 or r2, but the screen is still terrible and extremely glossy, and owners of both the m14x and m11x r3 say the m14x screen is better. Why in your m11x r3 review does it say lackluster screen as a con, but the m14x is a horrible glossy screen? It makes the m11x r3 screen seem better, when most users state the m14x screen is better. Just a question :)

15. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    The M14x just costs too much. Decently spec'd out it's nearly $1.5k, and it's basically a 15" notebook, meaning it underperforms every gaming notebook in its bracket. That's why it fails.
    The M11x has just has a glossy screen. The M14x has a sheet of horribly glossy glass in front of the screen. The latter is much, much worse.

16. Gearsguy

Gearsguy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Oh, really? I thought I saw a bunch of people say the m14x was better :/

Can you take pictures of both of yours side by side so I can see what you mean? Probably should post in the m14x forum so moderators dont get mad.

17. jamzkangster

jamzkangster Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    haha you can think what you want, but even after reading this review long before purchasing, and knowing about the heating issues (which i dont get btw), i still went on to go buy the m14x r3 anyways.

It's amazing laptop, and for its price range it's hard to find a gaming laptop that has all the amenities, fit and finish, plush keyboard and keys, features, style, and texture feel that this laptop has. Alienware does this best.

Sure i could have gone MSI or Asus G route, but i like something I can both adorn and show off. Both msi and asus have this tacky cheap feeling, and the chassis feels really flimsy. Sure performance may be better, and might be better bang for the buck, but i dont have a top ramen eating budget, i can spend my money where i see is necessary, and the m14x was no brainer for me.

18. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Brain size of a planet...

Reputations:
    I agree. I actually strongly considered an M14x, but for half the price I got similar performance in the HP DV6z with a matte 1080p screen, weighing about the same.

Actually no, the M11x has glossy glass over the screen too. But I did order and apply a matte protector and it worked great. I'm sure there's a similar one for the M14x. That being said, the glossy and substandard quality screen for the price of the laptop was another turnoff for me.

Otherwise I quite liked the M14x, but cost and screen really disappointed me.

19. Gearsguy

Gearsguy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I dont know, I just find it extremely compact compared to a G53SX Ive seen in stores and such. It may weigh the same, but its much smaller and has similar performance to that of huge gaming notebooks (Notice how the G53 for example is the same size as a 17 inch and the m14x is the same weight as a 15 inch?). It can still currently play just about any game maxed at 900p (native res). Its not even that expensive though. For 1275 you can get a 500gb HDD, 4gb of RAM, a 900p screen and an i7. It doesnt need to cost 1500$ to get a decent spec. I think a 1080p G53SW costs about 1200, so its pretty similar. You get maybe a bit less performance (555M overclocks to stock 460M performance), but you get more than double the battery life and a much more compact machine.

But its got a glossy screen and weighs alot so it fails youre right

20. Starscream

Starscream Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think the screen is great...in a dim setting, which is my room. In a classroom, the glare sucks.

The m14x truly is heavy, and it feels dense.

But on the other hand, I like the 14inch form factor over the 15inch and it looks sexy as hell (kinda like a stealth jet fighter)