1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Alienware M14x R1 Vs Alienware M14x R2

Discussion in 'Alienware 14 and M14x' started by Caladdon, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Caladdon

Caladdon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    All knew this was coming...but is it all in the R2's favour?

Compare here...

2. RocketPower

RocketPower Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It would be cool if the mobo fits in the R1, so when it burns you can upgrade the mobo, chipset and GPU all at once and be ready for ivy bridge!

3. Caladdon

Reputations:
    That would be excellent.
    I just hope the motherboard is able to be exchanged because thats the 'only' piece we would really need to upgrade as I am happy with my Hard drive, Ram, etc for the moment.

Im mainly curious as to the Gt 650m vs Gt 555m (Which in my eyes is still a very capable card and an excellent overclocker.)

4. Gearsguy

Gearsguy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    R2 is better in about every way so far, unless we find out theyre using a crappier display or something, or it overheats. I dont think its worth it to upgrade but you shouldnt purposely buy an R1 (like people who buy an M17x R2 over R3 for the RGB LED display)

5. niko2021

niko2021 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The gt650 is a good step up from the gt555m. Essentially, the gt640 is on par with the gt555m. So the gt650 that is in the new m14x will be a quite better. I knew it wasn't going to get a fully fledged mxm style gtx card, but the gt650 should be all you'd need in a 14 inch laptop. But the gt650 is about equivalent in performance to a gtx 560m anyway. So that hopefully stops people from complaining on here why the m14x should have a dedicated mxm graphics card :)

Still loving my r1 though. I don't think id ever been inclined to sell to get the r2. I dont think anyone should buy a laptop just to sell it in a year when the better version comes out, because that will inevitably happen. Unless you're lucky enough to exchange it from dell. But its awesome that dell didnt use the gt640 which is a slightly better gt555m, they used a much better card.

6. clautenslager

clautenslager Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Basically from what little info there is on the 650m is that it's at least on par with the 560m probably better seeing the r2 uses gddr5 ram.

However no one can confirm this until benchmarks come out.

To me this big because while the 555m was good it just wasn't able to play all games on high. The 650m looks like it will do that. Plus the 650m should run a lot cooler which is a significant win with the m14x's cooling problem

My only concern is when ivy bridge is added they might bump the price up to a point where the m14x isn't cheap anymore.

*facepalm* I was writing this when niko2021 posted...

7. Caladdon

Reputations:
    I'm not sure I'll exchange after all.
    My Gt 555m overclocks well and temps are good - Especially with the i5.
    I can play all my games on suitable settings anyway.
    At the moment I'm now actually considering exchanging for an M11x R3 seeing as there will be no R4. I'm after as much power in as little form factor as possible.

Or maybe the M14x R3 later on...

8. HSN21

HSN21 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    650m is faster than 560m we already have data

MSI Global ? News

"The powerful MSI GE60 and GE70 come locked and loaded with the Nvidia GeForce GT 650M discrete graphics card which boasts 2GB GDDR5 of display memory to give it the most advanced hardware. These machines boast over 10,000 points on 3D Mark Vantage (P Score)"

That is higher than 560m results ~

Nvidia official benchmarks also confirm it

9. owatch15

owatch15 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So far, it appears it outspecs the R1 by far.
    Gt650 GPU
    The capacity to hold up to 16Gb of RAM.
    A good improvement.

I admit, I am jealous

10. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Brain size of a planet...

Reputations:
    Vantage is far from an accurate measure of real gaming performance. And I wouldn't trust nVidia official benchmarks. Of course they will boast their latest GPU. Let's see real gaming results before making any claims or conclusions. If you have a 555m that overclocks well, you might be within 10% of GT 650m performance.

11. HSN21

HSN21 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah... that's not possible

We already have Benchmarks/reviews from multiple websites out for 640m which is not even DDR5 and perform better than 555m

650m = not only faster clocks but also DDR5 with the same 128bit for the 640m

12. HSN21

HSN21 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Also bluray
    Anti-glare screen
    SSD+HD combo
    Ivy bridge motherboard

13. maliusmaximus

maliusmaximus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can someone post benches here when they've done them?
    So p*ssed off. Just bought an R1 3 weeks ago because all the supposed experts here suggested the R2 was at least 2 months away...

14. HTWingNut

Reputations:
    There's always that risk. Nobody knows but the manufacturers. If it's been 3 weeks, plead your case to Dell. Just tell them you want to order the M14x R2 instead and they may cut you a break, especially if you order from them over the phone.

15. HTWingNut

Reputations:
    Where do you see anti-glare screen?

16. Chainspell

Chainspell Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you ordered with American express, I think you have a 60 day satisfaction guarantee. Maybe you can plea with your cc company for a refund.

17. maliusmaximus

Reputations:
    I ordered by Visa and have received the laptop already in Vietnam (brought over by a friend).. so Dunno how they would let me do that..
    Just annoying because I've spent the last month on these forums trying to get a good fix on whether this would be out before the end of April and even the Dell Rep kept getting it wrong.
    Oh well, I guess I could sell the laptop and buy the new one if there's a huge leap in performance between the 555m and the 650m?

18. Rilez

Rilez Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm waiting for the new invybridges and possibly nvidia's (secret announcement)

19. Chainspell

Chainspell Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Damn that sucks, well if there is any consolation Alienware has one of the best resale value out of any laptop. Also so what if you have to turn detail from high to med, if you enjoy your system then I would suggest you stick to it. We don't know what to expect with the R2, heck we are testing out the waters for people who buy later and the first version of anything new usually has bugs and all sorts of problems. You might just be saving yourself a lot of grief.

20. maliusmaximus

Reputations:
    Well I enjoy it but I love the best.
    I just made a post in another thread ing about how the TDP of Kepler isn't what they promised... but now reading the specs on Wikipedia I could be wrong..
    I was told the 650m would be 10-15% better than the 555m, but looking at the numbers it appears to be TWICE as good in virtually every department. Do you think we'll see massive improvements in performance between these two chips?