1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Alienware m14x Making Insane Beeping noise that won't stop (won't boot)

Discussion in 'Alienware 14 and M14x' started by XxAlbertoxX, Nov 26, 2012.

1. XxAlbertoxX

XxAlbertoxX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So my alienware m14x that I purchased my 1year ago, just started making multiple, sequential, beeping noises upon start-up.

To be honest, it did this about 1+ week ago, but I did the "system repair" and restarted and it somehow "fixed" itself (for the moment atleast) and allowed me to log- on to windows 7 until now.

It started again this morning, despite working last night. I shut down the computer via the "shut down " option in the start panel.

I tried doing the system repair option & memory diagnostic on the BIOS screen. Doesn't seem like anything helps.

It keeps beeping, and it pretty much won't stop. Is it the motherboard (hardware), or maybe software? over heating?

I really REALLY wanted to delete that stuff before I send anything in....

Any advice guys? I would very greatly appreciate it.

2. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Did you count the amount of beeps? Dell/Alienware has a code for the # of beeps. Did you have onsite warranty? Alienware will send someone to your home.

3. XxAlbertoxX

XxAlbertoxX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's an unlimited # of beeps... it never stops... it will beep, 100times or even more just continuously like an alarm clock...

I purchased the 2 year plan, I would have to log into to Dell to see or check the box with receipt which is downstairs still I believe.

I was just seeing if anyone knows what the multiple beeps are, since there is a set "number" or "pattern"

And I had stuff on the HDD that I wanted to delete before anyone services the computer ya know :p

4. ejohnson

ejohnson Is that lemon zest?

Reputations:
    Motherboard failure is my guess.

5. Mastaa

Mastaa Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You can still remove your HDD and connect it to another computer to remove your "private" stuff you don't want anyone to see, if you really think this is necessary :D

6. digitalmo

digitalmo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sound like the mobo is fried or something of that nature.

Just take the bottom cover off and remove the HDD before you send it in. They may refuse to service it without all the original parts in, though? So the ideal is to remove the drive, install in another computer, format, reinstall in AW before you send it for service.

Good Luck!

Maybe they will give you an r2?

7. digitalmo

digitalmo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  8. Alienware-L_Porras

Alienware-L_Porras Company Representative

Reputations:
    Do you have anything attached to it? An external keyboard or ODD or something?

9. HavocATX

HavocATX Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Does it beep in the bios screen or only when in windows?

If not in the bios, boot to the Windows Disc. Does it beep then?

10. Sn1PeR

Sn1PeR Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mine started doing the exact same thing this past weekend (R2 here though). I believe it has something to do with the battery. I was able to get mine to boot by holding down the power button to shut it down, and then plugging in the power cable before attempting to boot again. Oddly enough I had the problem again and it would not boot until I unplugged the power cable. I just had the problem again today when resuming the laptop from hibernation, holding the power button and starting it again solved the issue.

I also was getting a continuous beep that never stopped.

I should add that my problem started when I hit control+alt+delete during the windows 8 bootup (missed getting into the bios - was on the way to turn off the cpu turbo feature).