Alienware M14x Disassembly/Teardown and Upgrade Guide!

Discussion in 'Alienware 14 and M14x' started by ComputerMD82, Jul 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    During running test for both CPU and GPU at the same time (for as long as possible) when temp hits 95c on CPU I would stop the test and order some paste. If CPU stays under 85c, there is no need for re-paste YET.

The GPU has never gone over 75c for me even on Dell paste.

I was hitting 99 on CPU and 75+ on GPU with Dell paste during gaming (BF2). Now it is CPU 83c and GPU 66c MAX EVER.

2. vortexblade

vortexblade Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I ran Prime95 and Furmark at the same time for over 10 minutes. The GPU was fine, didn't go over 72 degrees. The CPU worries me a bit. It reached a reasonably stable 90-91 degrees. To repaste or to not to repaste is the question :)

Here is a screenshot I made:
    [​IMG]

3. headphones989

headphones989 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i mean... you're in the "ok" range (even though i prefer to keep my stuff a little less sizzling lols), and since you're stress testing you're probs seeing higher temps than you would normally see during regular usage... do you plan on overclocking any? try watching that youtube video a couple times, seems to get simpler every time i review that and this guide's teardown (would be 3x easier to see them assemble though LOLS)

4. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @ Vortexblade I think you do not need to repaste yet. I forgot, my GPU is overclocked 750/1500/1050 when gaming with Afterburner and also CPU is OC to 55-56-99 in Bios.

5. nuaron

nuaron Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nice manual. Would help the dell techie if he ever visits me again for a service( not that i want em to ).......

6. Nutkin

Nutkin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    any further info on installing the 3G card?

7. bumper_boy2000

bumper_boy2000 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    hi, i have a question. if i only seek to replace the thermal compound for both the CPU and GPU, is there a need to remove the bottom components? can i just do the steps from removing the keyboard onward? if not, could you point me in the correct direction for the above purpose only? thanks! i don't wanna do any redundant steps and increase the possibility of reassembly error. heh.

8. tmaxx123

tmaxx123 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    any driver change needed from the n1000 to the 6250?

9. irongoat

irongoat Newbie

Reputations:
    Is that with OC CPU and OC GPU? Because those numbers seem really low for all OC...

What are your current OC settings as well.

Thanks

10. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Both, cpu 55-56-99, 103.1, gpu 750/1050. The key is Bios A03 (unlocked) and with overvolted graphics. A03 kools 5-10c off at load compared to A05 and fans do not come up so often during browsing. However, during gaming hairdryer starts, I have no hair so I like it. The GPU overvolted bios A03 heats up my GPU to 68 Max compared to previous (posted) unlocked A03 showing 66c. Funnily enough my MAX CPU temps dropped from 85 to 79 after flashing to GPU overvolted A03.

These are BF3, MW, Crysis2 Hard Reset temps after an hour.

I hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.