Alienware M14x Disassembly/Teardown and Upgrade Guide!

Discussion in 'Alienware 14 and M14x' started by ComputerMD82, Jul 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tehdewm

tehdewm Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Does anyone know where I can get a replacement keyboard for the m14x? I can't find any website selling it, or ebay user, but I need to get a new keyboard for it.

2. wishlf

wishlf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks.

I was unable to screw those 2 screws for the battery. When I unscrew those. It was lose. Did you experience the same thing?

3. bigtonyman

bigtonyman Desktop Powa!!!

Reputations:
    if you really need a new keyboard call dell and they will hook you up ;) it will cost a bit though

4. wishlf

wishlf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Those 2 captive screws for the battery is larger than others. I guess maybe that's the reason I am unable to screw it back

5. headphones989

headphones989 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Getting my refurb m14x soon and replacing the hdd with and SSS and moving the hdd to the optical drive bay... Since I'm going in there anyway, anyone wanna say how long disassembly takes? I might just put some shin etsu while I'm in there. Never fully taken apart a laptop, is this one hard to do? (don't want to break it lols!)

6. AlfaFan

AlfaFan Newbie

Reputations:
    It took me about 40 minutes to dis-assemble the M14x following the guide. This was the first notebook I have stripped down so it may take you less time.

I found that the guide was excellent. Just make sure you keep the screws separate from each stage and you'll have no trouble when it comes to rebuilding it.

Repasting the CPU and GPU is definitely worthwhile. I run about 10-12C cooler under load. The fan barely comes on now when surfing the web or typing up notes. My idle temp is now around 39-42C.

7. vortexblade

vortexblade Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hmm I thinking really hard about repasting my cpu/gpu. But I haven't found the guts yet to do it. I already thought it was brave of me to put in a second hdd :) And judging from this guide thats not even 25% of the work you have to do to get to the cpu/gpu!

What about assembly, any tricky parts there? Somehow disassembly seems easier.

8. headphones989

Reputations:
    haha same deal here! assembly would be easier if i could SEE it and see all the pieces coming back together as well... but i think now that i've read over and looked at the pictures over and over that I could attempt it, closely following the guide and NEATLY arranging all my screws in order as I go... this video helps for those that want to follow along (and keeps a nice, brisk pace - but not TOO fast)... Alienware M14x R1 disassembly for GPU + CPU teardown / review - YouTube

if he made a re-assemble video i would be SET and not worry as much... sigh this is why building desktops is so much easier... you don't have to go through layers of crap and make sure it's all snug (bulges = easy to create if you don't wrap/place something correctly in a laptop - i know because i had a bulge in my m11x forever and never realized what it was for a long time LOLS)

but honestly... for those of us that want to get the most bang for our buck... 10 c is a big deal (and a lot quieter via fan)... and protects our hardware...

is it relatively easy to figure out which pieces go where when re-assembling (cables/plug-ins)? think i'm going to attempt this tomorrow when i get my laptop, regardless of how hot it runs default (save a couple degrees = yay)

9. vortexblade

vortexblade Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I downloaded furmark and prime95 to test the cpu and gpu temps. The GPU reached a stable 65 degrees after about 1 minutes and stayed there for a few minutes. When testing prime95 the CPU temps jumped to 80-85 degrees almost instantly, but when the fans really kicked in the temps dropped to 77-79 max.

Is this a reliable test tot check the if the heat management system is doing its work? I only tested for a few minutes with each test, but nothing changed after the fans kicked in. These temperatures seem to be reasonable. Or do these temperatures tell me nothing at all?

The reason I ask is I don't want to risk damaging my machine by taking it apart and repaste it if it isn't necessary.

10. headphones989

Reputations:
    i hear it's a good idea to try both gpu and cpu intensive tasks for a bit together cause they both use the same heatsink/fan... but not sure for how long

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.