Alienware M14x Disassembly/Teardown and Upgrade Guide!

Discussion in 'Alienware 14 and M14x' started by ComputerMD82, Jul 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jewdicator

Jewdicator Newbie

Reputations:
  2. exawatt

exawatt Newbie

Reputations:
    Can anyone comment on the temp of a ssd in the m14x vs the 7200rpm? I put a 500gb hybrid drive in and its kinda warm. If a ssd is significantly cooler I will order one.

Just want to put this out there as well. The noise level of the fan is not as bad as what everyone makes it out to be. It is noticable but not terrible.

While Im at it I guess I can also say the heat management is great. I primarily play with the built in keyboard and track pad (too lazy to go sit at my desk and play on a real machine) and my hands dont get sweaty. With the exception of the harddrive on the right palm rest.

Great little machine!

3. justinmpierson

justinmpierson Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for a great guide!

4. hedge007

hedge007 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, does anybody know is it possible to replace 1366 screen to 1600 screen? Are they compatible?

5. Bungletron

Bungletron Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Great post, a couple of questions.

I looked at the photos the resolution is a little low and I cannot zoom right in to see. Can you tell me how many thermal pads there were total in case if I need to replace them?

Also It looks like the heatsink assembly also touches what I assume are the VRMs (round/hexagonal sliver chips) around the CPU, can you confirm whether they are in contact with the heatsink too and whether they have thermal pads? Cheers.

6. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi, my results after IC 7 diamond repaste for both GPU and CPU:

Peak temps are about 6-10 celsius lower under load after repasting with IC 7 diamond

1. Temps DELL paste after 10 minutes idle no OC
    2. Temps DELL paste after WEI GPU OC
    3. Temps IC7 paste after 10 minutes idle no OC 1 hour after repasting
    4. Temps IC7 paste 1 hour after repasting WEI Gpu OC
    5. MSI full scan with IC 7
    *** heatsink was not very dusty, cleaned of course a bit, but no chunks of dust found

ComputerMD82 thank you very much for the guide, +rep lol

After a few days I will upload temps after curing sets in.

Attached Files:

7. madmantm

madmantm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did you have enough of one tube of thermal paste, i will probably do the same on my M14x, also would you do a small guide or howto?

8. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    LOL As this was the first time changing a paste I followed the guide on page one of this thread by ComputerMD82 . My advice from what I experienced would be that you should heat up the tube in warm water (80-90c) Yes, one tube is enough, but cant tell how much is still left inside cause the tube is not transparent.

I have put more on proc and GPU than I was supposed to (compared to MX5-like white stuff and so), but I have read that with IC7 you should put more, as the compound is VERY thick. I should have left the paste dry on the proc and Gpu for 20 minutes as described on IC7 website, but I skipped it. However, I am sure that I have put half the amount of toothpaste DELL used lol Cleaned the old paste with 96% alcohol from local drugstore (pharmacy) and woman-faces-cleaning wipes.

When I finally have put my laptop together, tried to power on and .. I got 3 beeps --> shutdown (believe me I was really small during the moment), restarted, again, 3 beeps, then laptop booted normal and the time and date was re-set.

In idle I do not see much difference (lower by 3-4 c) but under load I see 10-15c diff, especially for the processor. Played Crysis Warhead 2 hours max temp on one proc core was 81c, the rest were 78 or so. Before with Dell paste I saw 98, and that made me do repaste. The highest on graphics I got was 70 c, I run clocks at 730/1460/1050. Everyone in Amsterdam had winter jackets on tonight, so of course it is very warm in my room now from central heating, I believe 25c, I am changing into a reptile.

In unlocked Bios 05 I see that the processor is set to throttle at 85c default. I changed the value to 90c because whatever I do my proc does not go over 80-81c. So no throttling for me. Before repasting I could tell.

Graphics Really does not go over 70c.

Perfect stuff, just do it.

At the end of this reptile novel I confirm that it is 26c in my room (Puter is 1 meter from heat-pounding radiator) I watch vid on u-tube and type this mess on Google chrome.

My temps over last 15 minutes:

Enjoy

p.s. please note that this is about a week from repasting. The temps I posted a week or so ago were with window open, no central heating, but hoodie-warm evening outside.

Attached Files:

9. madmantm

madmantm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    rep+ thanks man!

10. AlfaFan

AlfaFan Newbie

Reputations:
    I stripped my M14x down today and repasted the CPU and GPU with Titan nanopaste. My temps are now around 10-12C cooler under load.

The Dell paste job was shambolic. I haven't seen such a lack of care before. It is no wonder some people see such high temps on their M14x's. It is well worth the effort to replace the Dell thermal paste.

Kudos For putting together such a great guide. I don't think I would have attempted this job without the excellent walkthrough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.