Alienware M11x R3 initial impression

Discussion in 'Alienware M11x' started by howard911s, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. howard911s

howard911s Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Idle temperature

Core 1 45c
    Core 2 43C

HDD 31C

While idle, integrated video is engaged so CPUID did not show any temperature. The earliest detection of a video card and shows the temperatuer by CPUID was somewhere between 60 to 65C.

After 65C and up the fan is on full throttle until it goes back down below 60-65c.

2. MICHAELSD01

MICHAELSD01 Apple/Alienware Master

Reputations:
    Wow. You're gonna have to tell me which overclocking software you use! I could never overclock my MacBook Pro since the cooling system isn't made for it and especially since it's out-of-warranty. Makes the R1 seem like a good idea.

3. ajslay

ajslay Overclocker, PC Builder

Reputations:
    the R1 is a really good idea, if you have experience with mods and soldering.
    i use nvidia system tools 6.06. you install that and its in the nvidia control panel.
    also i did a voltage mod, so im running at 0.95v.

4. BigCityHunter

BigCityHunter Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi there,

First i really dont understand why some people wants always claim that they have the biggest ...i thought they were ugly Vaio or Asus fanboys who needs to spit or AW but no, in fact most of them own a M11x series...plz how old are u guys ^^

Anyway right now i wait for my R3 and i love the good looking of this small laptop...yeah i dont want a new design...go buy the M14 or 17 x if someone dont like 11x.
    I have had a D901C and it was loud at certain point. In game not so much but not as quiet in idle.

Sandy Bridge is really "versatile" and have a long range of action.

For me the small form factor, sturdy chassis and good looking have make my choice, and if this r3 wasnt out, i certainly check for R2 instead.

For the noise, its obvious the laptop become noisy in load with this kind of components on it... stop kidding us plz, its just not a M17x...the fact is in idle its quiet so all is just normal and good after all.

5. Benchmade 42

Benchmade 42 Titanium

Reputations:
    As long as the fan doesn't go crazy at full blast while running the integrated card and just surfing or office editing.

That was a huge annoyance on the r1 and i had my r1 from April of last yr until August so i just ignored it but gave up after the fan keeps coming on idle doing nothing like it has a mind of its own.

So by Howards review so far on the r3, the fan is looking good. I don't care about the fan running at full blast when benchmarking or gaming.

6. mario64

mario64 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Howard how does the R3 fan during gaming compare to the R1 during gaming? I find the R1 quite loud at load.

7. xtravbx

xtravbx Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is all you do is take things people say directly out of context?

You come across as a real bag when someone doesn't completely agree with you.

8. anthonykit

anthonykit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    From benchmade42,

"the fan is looking good. I don't care about the fan running at full blast when benchmarking or gaming"

This statement, taken in conext, is another clear example of low standards and low expectations.

9. howard911s

howard911s Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    R1 - sharper fan noise it felt

R3- louder

winner = R3 = no random fan on and off quiet during idle

10. mario64

mario64 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ok thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.