Alienware M11x R3 initial impression

Discussion in 'Alienware M11x' started by howard911s, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitrzac

whitrzac The orange end is cold...

Reputations:
    so its similar to the R1/R2 fan when flashing the bios?:eek:

2. anthonykit

anthonykit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Who cares about looks here owning a m11x. Its not the most attractive machine. I hope that you bought this for performance like me.

I don't know about cooling ?

I guess you can put me in the same category as Dell cause they couldnt cool the R3 except with fan noise. They shipped the R3 knowing the fan runs a lot to cool however decided "its the best we can do with the current design".

You are confusing yourself. Btw, a new, better screen could require some sort of redesign. You don't just drop a screen into any old housing.

Bottom line though, this box is on its "last leg".

3. howard911s

howard911s Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    That would be a fair statement, about the same noise level during heat of gaming.

But I have to stress that it's ok doing normal stuff, hairdryer noise is only when gaming or doing tasking stuff. However it is bothering me ..

4. Benchmade 42

Benchmade 42 Titanium

Reputations:
    Don't worry about Anthony, you can tell he is somewhat upset and possibly jealous that r3 is a newer tech than his r2(of course he won't admit it) that is why he is being negative about it and ruining it for new m11x buyers and people that wants to upgrade.

5. kashish333

kashish333 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I second it. I think I will buy m11x for its sheer looks. It is the best looking alienware so far and no guarantee that a new design will be as attractive as this one. I chose it over mac book air and I have no doubt I made a right choice.

6. poetryrocksalot

poetryrocksalot Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can I get a picture of the keyboard please?

7. oakley1261

oakley1261 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    All of your complaints about a new case design seem to point to the fact that you're upset that you got the R2 before the R3 dropped. Or that you value looks over performance. This is from all of your posts that I have read.

So at this point from everything I have heard from you and seen you post, you don't care about performance, you care about looks. I suppose I could be wrong, but that's how I am reading everything you say.

Hate to break it to you, but fast performance sometimes equals higher fan noise. With such a small form factor, there is not much they could really do at this point concerning it, except wait for newer processors and gpu's with lower TDP's. I seriously doubt they will want to make the system larger to accomodate better cooling, especially considering the system in place cools it just fine. It's just a little louder.

And, no I am not confusing myself. A new better screen of the same size would not require a redesign. I'm talking higher quality here, not size. The size is fine. If I wanted something bigger, I would stick with my current laptop, or get something bigger. So again, I don't confuse myself.

Everything you have stated as fact has been pure speculation, and you argue with everyone to make it appear as fact. If it is on it's "last leg" as you said, then we will start to see system failures from people with R3's. So, we'll see.

8. anthonykit

Reputations:
    Noooo. No. No.

I can afford it. Honestly, before hearing about the fan noise I was regretting not getting one on coupon last week.

The only way that I cannot afford one now is it goes against my Technology religion and morals to buy a product that is the same as the last model without a coupon.

Howard911s used a coupon.

So in a sense you are correct that I cannot afford it, for technology religious reasons though. Common sense factors in also here.

The R3 is an R2 with a marginally better processor.

IF the fan noise is fixed somehow, which I doubt without it causing overheating, AND IF if the coupons come back, AND IF I can get $800 for my i7, THEN I will by an R3.

A lot of current owners feel the same.

UPDATED: I paid $800 for an unopened box R2 i7 with full warranty 3 months ago. That was a sweet deal.
    The $400 coupon for the R3 was a sweet deal too.

9. oakley1261

oakley1261 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm done arguing with you. Honestly, if you don't understand it's not my problem. And I'm sure people are sick of seeing it. But props on the "Technology religion and morals" line. That was really funny.

10. anthonykit

Reputations:
    oakley, you said regarding fan noise,

"there is not much they could really do at this point concerning it".

This is a perfect example of how standards are starting to get lower. You seem totally fine with it.

The OP said it is annoying to him.

If this get out trust me it will impact sales.

As it stated before, I will just claim all the credit for the case redesign to fix a lot of things and I will not share any of it with you :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.