Alienware M11x R3 initial impression

Discussion in 'Alienware M11x' started by howard911s, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benchmade 42

Benchmade 42 Titanium

Reputations:
    M14x users are also reporting super loud hair dryer/jet engine fan while gaming or benchmarking. AW/Dell said they are aware of the issue and will fix that on the next firmware/bios update.

So I'm guessing the m11x r3 will get the same treatment.

2. DavyGT

DavyGT Overclocker

Reputations:
    CPU is 17W TDP. It's cooler running then an R2. The RAM doesn't need cooling. That leaves the video card as the source of the heat.
    Strange how Dell put out 2 fan tables: one hot running one but quieter for the review 2657M and this one with max fan at 65C.

Can you check if the R3 throttles when gaming on battery? The R1 and R2 run at full clocks unplugged but they don't have a 35W GPU.

3. howard911s

howard911s Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Dang you are right, and separate thread about R3 noise is starting to pop up. :eek:

4. Mackan

Mackan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    NBR should do an official review of the R3, and report on the fan noise as well. I do hope Alienware will quiet it down.

5. KiLlaStrémé07

KiLlaStrémé07 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey can ya make a video of how the games are using fraps for those who already received their alienware. I would really like to see how smooth it runs. Thankx!!!

6. anthonykit

anthonykit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Dell would like to be able to use the same case for all new cpu's/gpu's for the next ten years but they will not be able to.

As new components arrive new challenges arise that likely cannot be accommodated by a cookie cutter approach to case design.

Wah Wah.

7. MICHAELSD01

MICHAELSD01 Apple/Alienware Master

Reputations:
    Of course that was an anthonykit comment. Knew after reading before I saw who it was :p.

8. oakley1261

oakley1261 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Anthony please, PLEASE we understand you don't like the case design. _EVERYONE_ here knows this. We don't want to hear it anymore. Just drop it, and talk about something useful instead of bringing up the fact that you don't like the case design every other freaking post you make.

And I'm sure you knew this was an Oakley post before you looked at the name. :)

9. anthonykit

Reputations:
    Okay. I wanted to make this comment, which is true and on topic, and then say no more, but now here comes Oakley being a Troll.

Oakley, fyi, I love my R2. Typing on it right now. Could sale it and trade up or down but there is nothing out there better for the money, including the R3.

Read this thread below that I OP'ed.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m11x/556989-new-owner-shocked-quality.html

Oakley, the case cannot go on for an eternity.

Had Dell spent a little R&D budget redesigning this case this fan stuff would not be happening.

I don't think the fan noise problem it will be fixed.

Sorry.

Wah Wah.

10. anthonykit

Reputations:
    The R4 will have a faster processor, faster gpu, and no fan noise when playing games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.