Alienware M11x OC void the warranty?

Discussion in 'Alienware M11x' started by Jannas, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry Jackson

Jerry Jackson Administrator NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I'm sorry it took a few days to get a final answer from Alienware, but it the question had to go around to the Dell Support and Legal teams before they could give me a final answer to share with the forum users here.

Here is the official word from Alienware/Dell:

"A customer will not void his warranty for utilizing the CPU overclock setting in the BIOS of the M11x. If the customer calls in for support and has overclocked the CPU bus using the BIOS setting, support will ask the customer to return the clock speed to factory setting to eliminate any stability issues possibly caused by overclocking for the duration of troubleshooting.

Only in the case where a customer has utilized third party hardware to push the hardware beyond design specifications will a customer be in danger of voiding their warranty."

2. popypopy

popypopy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks Jerry.

Kind of shady that Dell did not already have all their reps aware of this, as it could have caused consumers to assume they no longer had a warranty, which is pretty unfriendly on Dell's part - but kudos for them for finally giving a straight answer and for actually supporting the features they themselves designed into the product.

3. BatBoy

BatBoy Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Thanks for confirming Jerry. This policy is the same as what they have always had in place on other platforms. Great to finally have an 'official' confirmation.

4. DR650SE

DR650SE The Whiskey Barracuda

Reputations:
    Jerry, thanks for the info, much appreciated. I'm going to quote it in the benchmark thread

5. Caskey

Caskey Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    In the bios on my m11x there is a option enable overclock and if yes it takes my cpu from 1.3GHZ to 1.73GHZ

So therfore theres and option to OC that means No it will not Void the warranty

Also at 1.73 this makes computer very fast Im very impressed by my M11x

6. Jannas

Jannas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Really appreciate the official answers. Special credit to BatBoy, Bill and Jerry.

I'd like to submit a request for a sticky thread. I'll update my original post with the official answers.

Thanks again.

7. BatBoy

Reputations:
    We limit the AW forum to 4 stickies, so - sorry. This is linked in Post 1 of the M11x benchmark thread and I will add (if steven doesnt first), this info to the M11x OL Page 1 info.

8. Jannas

Jannas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I understand. It was only the benefit of other clueless like myself. the links work for this so... perfect! :)

9. apt2l

apt2l Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So to understand correctly, it is the standard warranty we are talking about and not the premium or advanced, right?

10. BatBoy

Reputations:
    apt2l,

Its whatever warranty you have. You have an active warranty, then its covered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.