Alienware M11x OC void the warranty?

Discussion in 'Alienware M11x' started by Jannas, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tears

tears Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This should go in the first post:

Read more: Alienware M11x Notebook Review @ HH - Page 7 http://www.hardwareheaven.com/hh-re...-m11x-notebook-review-hh-7.html#ixzz0gFN6fJzE

So overclock at your own risk.

2. DanLar75

DanLar75 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think more important and interesting is; Is there ANY way for Dell/Alienware to tell that overclocking is the reason for a friend processor?

Even if you toast your processor you can just change the setting back/reset the bios and return it under warranty. Seems like a 'non question' to me since as far as I know there is no way of telling whether it has been overclocked or just 'died of natural causes'.

3. tears

tears Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sure, the fried internals will give it away.
    I 'm guessing what they mean is that its okay to do it, but they aren't going you cover you if you attempt to overclock the CPU to 2.5GHz or some insane amount, or over-volt the processor.

4. dobbytheten

dobbytheten Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Considering most benchmarks thus far seem to show hardly any significant increase in temperature from a reasonable OC, I doubt it would even fry the thing.

@Jannas
    That really depends on what's covered under premium isn't it?

5. RAQemUP

RAQemUP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ya, the low temps plus great cooling have me excited really. Would be nice to have something with some power not cook my eggs.

6. Dell-Bill_B

Dell-Bill_B Guest

Reputations:
    I am looking into the OP's question for an official response. I will post back here when I find out the official answer.

7. RU1NOUS

RU1NOUS Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys,
    Been on the phone to alienware tech support and have have now been told by them that they will not support or guarantee the overclock on the laptop but will warranty it for overclocking if anything goes wrong on a standard warranty. This is completely different to what i was told a few days before that.
    When i asked the tech support rep to e-mail me confirmation of what he had said that i have to wait for my M11 to arrive and when i supplied a service tag he would send me an e-mail, but refused to send one through to the details stored on My M17 support account.

Really want to get some confirmation on whether this is covered or not by warranty? Has anyone else spoken to tech support about this?

I will post on here I hear more.

8. Fuzzyhead

Fuzzyhead Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Germany here.
    Sent my Alienware support an email stating the here discussed topic.
    Their response:

"If you are the owner of an Extrem Edition Processor, you have the option to overclock with full coverage of probable damages through warranty. There are exceptions but the M11x is NOT one of them."

Let's hope that they are just misinformed.

9. RU1NOUS

RU1NOUS Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Guys,
    Just spoken to my Dell rep and he has said that he is going to look into whether overclocking is covered by warranty and if it is "possible" but he initially said that overclocking was not covered by warranty. Im very confused now he said he is going to email me as soon as he knows for sure.
    ah well! i hope it is if not im going to wait and see when other have successfully OC'd!

10. DR650SE

DR650SE The Whiskey Barracuda

Reputations:
    Bill, we sincerely appreciate the effort to keep us informed. Thanks for your assistance in getting us an official answer. +1
    We know that the reps are sales individuals, and don't always have this information, and at times, inaccurate information. We will be eager to hear what you find. Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.