Alienware Laptop Paint Mods

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by Maxware79, Sep 10, 2019.

1. javidben

javidben Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    good job bro. I had an Alienware M14x R1 for years, and if I had the experience or the balls you had to recoat it, it would've looked awesome.

Maxware79 likes this.
  2. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks. It was a little daunting the first time and I've made a few mistakes but you can always sand it back and start again.

Papusan likes this.
  3. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi, what spray can did you use for the blue M18x R2 ? it looks amazing with the glittery effect, however it's pretty glossy right ?

4. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks man. I used an auto touch-up spray and the paint is called Delft Blue. Something similar should be available in other countries. I used this one because it's the same colour as one of my old cars (below). I use a Rustoleum gloss clear coat spray over this to protect the base layer. If you don't want it as glossy you could try using a satin clear coat. I always use a primer before the base coat as well.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p...-up-paint---delft-blue-150g-dsh85/356906.html

https://www.rustoleum.com.au/product-catalog/consumer-brands/ultra-cover-2x/clear

1930776_40206657391_3686_n.jpg

5. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    Thanks you, I'm gonna soon receive an M17x R4 with a very bad display assembly painting job, what do you think I should start with ? removing old paint ? chemically or with sand paper ? or a little bit of sand paper then new coat ?
    Also is it possible to paint the aluminum/magnesium part of my M6700 in an other color while keeping the "metal" feeling ?

6. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't know anything about the M6700 and have never seen one up close so it's hard to say. This auto paint goes on quite thick so I would imagine that you'll lose the light aluminum feeling.

The M17x R4 has the rubbery Soft-touch material on the lid of the display assembly. Did they paint over the Soft-touch? Got a picture of it?

7. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It is possible to paint over the Soft-touch but I don't know how durable it is. I painted my wife's M17x R3 but it just sits on her desk so it doesn't get shoved into a laptop bag and banged around.

I lightly sanded the soft-touch and then put down a few good layers of primer with light sanding between coats. Then probably 3 base coats and 2-3 satin clear coats.

IMG_3284.jpg

Papusan likes this.
  8. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    And did you ever tried a covering on damaged/scratched Soft-Touch parts ? the palmrest on my M6700 is in bad condition :/

9. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No covering (if you mean a wrap), just the respray on the Soft-touch lid as per above. I'm sure a wrap would be a good way to go if there is one available for your M6700.

10. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    Do you know if the alienhead is sold separatly ? the previous just painted over it... Also I think I can say goodbye to the soft touch, it was painted to hide big scratches so I think my best solution is to get rid of the paint and the remaining of the soft touch then paint it again.