Alienware Introspective

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Gumwars, May 7, 2020.

1. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I owned Alienware laptops since early 2000’s when they used Clevos as the supplier. I can tell you you are wasting your breath. The first laptop I owned from and every “gaming” laptop for that matter has thermal issues from the factory. Hell even the paid for thermal upgrades I paid from HIDevolution had issues out of the box.
    This really is a simple fact of life with these machines. These companies make there decision with no involvement from the community. Many desktop solutions are the same. They are heavily invested in the design months if not a year or 2 before the product reaches market. They have moved on the next design before the general public has gotten what they’ve been working on. So decision have been made before they even know the impact of the current generation. It’s a ever evolving cycle. They really don’t care about the public’s opinion, NONE of them do. They are all in there own bubble as manufacturers with no outside influence of their decisions. If so we would have seen better products 10 years ago on a thermal and performance level.
    I choose to buy these machines knowing the limitations of it being a notebook and what I have to do to make it perform and run better. I also have high end desktops that yes I have to tweak also. It’s the nature of the beast..

Vasudev, Papusan and Muezick like this.
  2. Muezick

Muezick Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah the Super-car analogy made earlier sorta makes sense. Its a high performance machine and the margins are razer thin.

I mean if you "race" any car, you will get to work on those cars more often. That's just a fact. It's just unfortunate that the 'car' in this question isn't something you can really work on. There is no preventative maintenance you can do really. Even Applying liquid metal and assuming you're going to be footing the bill for another heat sink in the future (A very extreme case scenario imo) is only going to do so much for most people (Based on my readings where LM "Didn't do much to lower temps" in certain systems.)

I've come to a place that just assumes i'll be buying another system every 2-ish years and I buy the extra-special retailer warranty that covers basically everything from motherboard failure to spilling coffee on the keyboard for that duration. Gives me loads of peace of mind, and frankly, so long as the system isn't actually throttling (Which my Razer blade 15 doesn't, miraculously) i don't care how hot it gets.

Gumwars likes this.
  3. Gumwars

Gumwars Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I believe some miscommunication is afoot. While processing power has largely made any laptop comparable to some segment of the desktop market, I believe the term "DTR" usually implies the thicker offerings available. The A51M, G701, the big boys from Clevo, etc, are what comes to mind when DTR is mentioned. Going a step further, I'm not aware of any thin/light that uses MXM or LGA. While you do see many of the bigger chassis going to BGA, replaceable CPUs and GPUs are still the domain of the 10 lbs laptops.