Alienware Introspective

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Gumwars, May 7, 2020.

1. Gumwars

Gumwars Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's easy for us to say, but it goes against what the market has wanted for years. The claim has always been there and for laptops that get close to the mark, the sales speak for themselves; XPS 15, Aero 15, Razer's thin and light offerings, they all point to thin and light being the products that sell. My wife has an XPS 13 with a U processor in it. If we need heavy lifting done (working with large images, archiving old photos, etc) it isn't her laptop we get it done on. To be clear, I'm not disagreeing with you, even if it seems like I am. Yes, OEMs need to build laptops that don't cook themselves direct from the factory, which is a complaint I mentioned towards the end of my OP here.

The tuning we do once we own the laptop should be done by the OEM. It shouldn't be a special service charge or white glove handling. It should be standard that laptop GPU ships with a laptop vBIOS, and not be set to the powerlimits of its desktop counterpart. CPUs that run hot in a laptop should come standard with well-fitting heatsinks, a quality thermal paste, and undervolted so that it isn't throttling as a part of its normal operation. If these precautions were taken from the start, BGA probably wouldn't be looked at as a cancer in the mobile segment.

Wes of StarArmy likes this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Planned obsolescence is Cancer! On top... It run too hot, you risk lose your Golden BGA with MB swap and is a throttling mess.

It’s time to call out laptop manufacturers for their ******** CPU throttling

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...950h-coffee-lake.810891/page-92#post-10769126

upload_2020-5-9_18-14-30.png
    ♫ The Core i9 clock cycles go up. Who cares where they come down? Theregister.com

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    Rei Fukai likes this.
  3. Gumwars

Reputations:
    BGA vs. LGA doesn't matter when they change sockets every generation! The only benefit you have is the choice to run different performance within the same generation, but even then you may be locked into a specific series of CPU (i5 vs i7). BGA is a solution for thin & light and is supported by the fact that we would need to swap MB every generation, anyway if we wanted the next iteration of CPU. AMD is one of the few that have had decent support for their CPUs beyond a single generation, but they shot themselves in the face in the mobile segment years ago. If you want a thin and light laptop it is; going to have an Intel CPU and it will be BGA.

Papusan, you aren't wrong. But you aren't acknowledging that all we can do is work within the parameters as they have been found.

4. Papusan

Reputations:
    My old trusty Clevo P870 from 2015 (6700K→7700K→8700K→9900K). 5 years ride. From 4 up to 8 cores.

Regarding AMD
    AMD's Ryzen CPUs (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris/Navi GPUs

Rei Fukai likes this.
  5. Gumwars

Reputations:
    Brother, that's a 12 lbs laptop. We aren't discussing DTRs, we're talking about thin/light. There's no denying in the form factor the size of a small car engineers can fit a cooling solution that works. I do see what you're saying.

6. Papusan

Reputations:
    Today is everything called DTRs. Size/weight doesn't matter. Just read what reviewers say about thin/light.

Edit.
    upload_2020-5-9_19-1-17.png
    upload_2020-5-9_19-7-46.png

Rei Fukai likes this.
  7. Gumwars

Reputations:
    It is the only factor that matters. Your Clevo is proof positive that a larger form factor can manage the thermals. If we limit the size, the thermals adjust in lockstep. Go too small and it cooks (without other mitigations). DTR is usually synonymous with large, heavy, thick, and typically has good thermal management. Thin/light is usually the opposite on all points.

My primary means of getting to/from work is on a motorcycle. My old back can't handle 10 lbs of laptop and another 3 lbs of powerbrick along with all my other office stuff. Thin and light is a necessary aspect of my purchase. I also can't afford to buy a desktop for gaming/office work at home along with a business only laptop for work. I needed something that does it all in one shot. So, no, I don't agree with you that size and weight don't matter, they very much do.

Edit:
    upload_2020-5-9_10-21-8.png

They aren't even on the same page.

More edits:
    upload_2020-5-9_10-25-11.png

8. Papusan

Reputations:
    What I meant with my comment about "Size/weight doesn't matter"... They all being called DTR's by most reviewers. You said... We aren't discussing DTR's. I replied on that. See also pict above.
    upload_2020-5-10_2-40-20.png

Rei Fukai likes this.
  9. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Some reviewers calls a portable system like some model of laptops as Desk-Top-Replacements, here they're simply referring to portable device that possess capability of desk bound working power.
    Yes! Many laptops out there, with big screen-scale, with fast calculating processors, fast read and write storage, can go on par with desk-bound systems. Hence, depending on individuals, even a 14inch make can get referred as DTR.
    However, to some reviewers, laptops are still laptops, notebooks are still notebooks. What these "non-DTRs" are limited, is the choice of replaceable parts and components. U can't fit a RGB ram to make ur system glow due to limited space, u can't swap screen/monitor, keyboard, mouse pointers of a laptop...

10. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I can show you plenty non DTR's with interchangable ram, HDD, SSD, wifi etc.
    With current DTR's it's already impossible to fit RGB ram. I think you're confusing DIMM DDR4 ram which desktop uses for SODIMM which laptop uses. Those use two different connections and size's which makes them not interchangeably. And you can easily swap an display as long as the cables match up (and the display fits the screen). There are guides for it on for example the 17 R4 or the 15 R3..

Even other brands can change the display it's not like they're soldered on. And even if it was, reflowing it can be done quite easily, or use a hot blower with a temperature regulator/gauge to soften the solder.